Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

ABS kicking in when it shouldn't

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 PM

It feels like the brakes on the HHR SS are kicking into ABS when not needed at all. Driving on dry pavement they kick in, at least I think it is the ABS. There is a subtle push up on the pedal against my foot and a vibration for a second. This can happen randomly at low speed or high speed when I brake, but seems only when breaking fairly lightly. I am assuming a sensor problem. Anyone had this issue?

Last edited by canroc; 08-15-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

I found it was a bit alarming when it took over for no reason....after a few times of trying to kill me it finally threw the code to check the wiring to and or change the steering angle sensor.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 AM
Deceased

Take it in to your dealer or your preferred independent tech, have them hook it up to a Tech II scan tool to check for any stored ABS codes.

Due to liability concerns, the code scanners at auto parts stores will not give out ABS, SRS, or Transmission trouble codes.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Technical Moderator

Are any lights coming on, like ESC and/or ABS?
When did you change your motor oil?

Mine was doing that, lights ABS activating no CEL. Changed my oil everything is now good. My theory is that the cam actuators were acting up just enough to set off the ESC, but not enough to set off the CEL.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by canroc
It feels like the brakes on the HHR SS are kicking into ABS when not needed at all. Driving on dry pavement they kick in, at least I think it is the ABS. There is a subtle push up on the pedal against my food and a vibration for a second. This can happen randomly at low speed or high speed when I brake, but seems only when breaking fairly lightly. I am assuming a sensor problem. Anyone had this issue?
Hey there,

If you would like any assistance into your dealership, please do not hesitate to send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership. Hope to hear from you soon, and look into this further for you!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Technical Moderator

And then... the very next time I started the car the ESC & ABS lights came on.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Getting worse. No codes. I want to disable the
ABS system to help in my diagnosis. Is there a way to do that? ..maybe remove a related fuse? Or disconnect all speed sensors?
Old 08-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

You say no codes, but you do realize that most code readers will not show any ABS related codes.
You need a Tech II or such scan tool to be able to pull those type stored codes.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:46 PM

In most cases a failing speed sensor will cause your problem. One of the sensors are not reading speed at slow speeds.

When coming to a stop one of the wheel speed sensor will read zero speed before the other three so the abs module thinks your locking up a wheel and sends the system into an abs stop.

There is not a code until the sensor gets erratic enough for the module to flag a code.

With a scan tool that can read the speed sensors it's fairly easy to see which sensor needs replaced.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Technical Moderator

My update is I had a guy hook his scantool up and it identified my front right speed sensor. Since then it has only lit the ABS & ESC once. Just for kicks I did spray some MAF cleaner into the sensor ring area of the RF hub.

Cheap Chinese hubs, but still half the employee price of expensive Chinese hubs at NAPA.

Quick Reply: ABS kicking in when it shouldn't