Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

AC Draining onto passenger floor/carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 PM

AC Draining onto passenger floor/carpet

I've discovered difinitively that the AC is draining onto the passenger floorboard, and likely one of the reasons why the original owner decided to sell it. Seems to be a mysterious leak if you don't know how to seek and find the issue, or go to the dealer, as I can imagine most basic mechanics would blame something else or try to get you to replace major parts = Major costs. So far, I've ruled out the small undulated "J-shaped" 10mm removable rubber hose that goes from the AC motor up into the casing (I blew into it, and there is no air leaking out). There is a black, flat square plastic coated sensor about 2"x2.5" square that is removable right against the firewall that has a plug into it. The sensor seems to be loose, as the teeth on the housing side seem to be partially broken, and it sort of hangs there. I am guessing that possibly water leaks through the seal, as it's no longer tightly fitting. The other perplexing thing about finding this issue, is that it doesn't want to leak water while the car is sitting idle. It only spits out while the car is moving.
At least I've discovered that there is no leak from the cabin filter area, as I replaced it with a new charcoal one, and it was dry, plus I removed the cowl, cleaned out a couple leaves, wiped out and cleaned the insides, and lubricated the joints of the wiper arms, motor, etc... I now know the leak is not from the cowl intake. I'm going to re-investigate this issue and spend time trying to figure it out.

Any suggestions or ideas are always appreciated!

I'll be back with pictures.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 PM

If that is a 2006, search butyl patch. Otherwise unstop the A/C condensate drain
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 PM

Next to the blue mark

Old 02-18-2020, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Next to the blue mark
Thank you! This is going to be my next step. First, I have to figure out how to attach the loose sensor under the dash, because that surely is not helping. I am trying to figure out how to rig up some sort of canned air or canned sprayer with the Frost King AC Foam Cleaner or similar product. It appears that there's no straw (like on WD40) that comes with it, so I might purchase a flexi-straw attachment at the hardware store that comes with another can like the Easy Reach WD40, and use it that way, because I don't have access to a hydraulic jack, and I've got too bad of a back to lay on the ground like it needs, so going to try it from above making a sort of gooseneck to get in there. Will see how it goes once i get the sensor back in place. Wish me luck!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Administrator

You don’t need to try to reinvent the wheel, dozens of posts and videos, showing how to clear that AC drain hose online.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hhr+a...&client=safari

most are from the top, no need to lay on the ground.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:58 AM

I think you are talking about the fan resistor pack. There should be a clip for it.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
You don’t need to try to reinvent the wheel, dozens of posts and videos, showing how to clear that AC drain hose online.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hhr+a...&client=safari

most are from the top, no need to lay on the ground.
i appreciate that, but the link you provided only shows people using jacks and then includes the butyl patch which isn’t needed for mine.
As I mentioned, the situation is this: I don’t want to lay on the ground, I don’t have access to a air tank, and I want to use the foaming cleaner to put in there as mentioned (Frost King Foaming Cleaner). So, given there parameters, I’m not seeing anything which fits this profile I have to work with. So I’m not reinventing the wheel, but more like working with a hoverboard. Lol 😁
Old 02-19-2020, 02:09 PM
Administrator

This explains from the top. Sorry no pictures or mention of the foam stuff you want to use, most have said they used a tie wrap , or small hook to clear the hose
Old 02-19-2020, 03:24 PM

The foam stuff is administered from the inside outlet. I could reach down and tickle the drain from the top.

The problem is mold builds up in the tray and blocks the hose. So the foam dissolves the clog.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Now that sounds doable!

Quick Reply: AC Draining onto passenger floor/carpet