Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Bag Light On

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM

Be sure to disconnect the NEGATIVE battery post and wait 15 minutes before you mess with any of the restraint system components. That will disarm the system, so there will be no chance of explosions.

To get under the seats move them all the way up then remove the 2 bolts holding them down in the rear, then they will rotate forward. Search "seat removal".
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hey Swiss,

Keep us posted on what you find. If you decide to go into the dealership we would be happy to help you set that up and work with you throughout the process!

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
So, Jonathan. How does that work? You are able to set up appointments in Switzerland?
Just wondering, since that's where SwissHHR is located.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
So, Jonathan. How does that work? You are able to set up appointments in Switzerland?
Just wondering, since that's where SwissHHR is located.
Bummer, I didn't see that at first glance. Good looking out fireman! If the dealership route is one that you would like to take SwissHHR, I would be happy to get you in contact with the appropriate team in your market to help out!

Safe travels!

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-20-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks to your help I found the kick panel! :-) Now trying to get that connector loose...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 AM

air bag service

Hello fellow HHR owners. I too have had the service air bag message on my 09 HHR. I did the dialetic grease on the pin connection of the yellow connectors underneath the passenger kick plate, and disconnected the battery for 20 minutes to reset all computers...but message came back on right away. Any other suggestions??? The pics and the descriptions by the previous posts are much appreciated by the way!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Did you lightly sand/clean off teh electrical pins of any potential corrosion 1st? If so, check the connectors under the passenger seat as described. If you can access an airbag code reader that would eliminate much of the guess work.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM

On my 2009 LS I also had an obvious problem with the original assembly of the other “yellow” connector located near the Data Link Connector. The factory or the servicing dealer put it together with the center tongue pinched inside. I had never seen a connector like this one. I don’t remember how it comes apart; you will have to experiment with it.

I found this misassembled connector problem at the same time I went through the complete system looking at all the connectors of the restraint system. Even went into the box under the shifter console. By the way all the connectors have shorting bars that short out the activating pairs of wires to the airbags as you unplug the halves of the connectors. The auto industry has done a pretty good job protecting from accidental activation of the airbags.

Since doing the whole vehicle I haven’t had any problems what so ever; the connector located above the right kick panel in the passenger foot area did not take care of all my problems.

By the way all these connectors cannot be easily taken apart to “sand and clean” contacts. I believe these connectors are too complicated with the hidden shorting bars to be serviceable by the common DIYers.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:37 AM

The battery disconnect does not re set the the AirBag module. If it is the problem it needs to be re programed and/or replaced. It is possible to send it off to be re programed. If you replace it with a new part a TechII must be used to install the new Serial Number.

Just trying to clear that up.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM

About two weeks ago, I took the yellow X211 connector behind the right kick panel apart and sprayed some contact cleaner onto the contacts. Touch wood: the airbag light hasn't come on since...
Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

Joeymollo

Where's the passenger side kick panel where the air bag plug is?

Last edited by joeymollo; 04-25-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Miss spelling

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light On