Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Condition Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM

I can only speak for mine, as well, but my A/C works fine, no noise at all. This is both with the circulate on and off; cools down way better than my last vehicle (Dodge Ram Crew Cab - but then again, Dodge has never had very good air conditioners - believe me, I know, I've owned 5!)

Anyway, here in Phoenix, we've been hittin' over 100 the past two weeks, and the A/C in the HHR works just fine - PHEW!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by PhxHHR
I can only speak for mine, as well, but my A/C works fine, no noise at all. This is both with the circulate on and off; cools down way better than my last vehicle (Dodge Ram Crew Cab - but then again, Dodge has never had very good air conditioners - believe me, I know, I've owned 5!)

Anyway, here in Phoenix, we've been hittin' over 100 the past two weeks, and the A/C in the HHR works just fine - PHEW!

Yeah, but it's a dry heat. Hate it when people say that.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by coolsurf
I think there may be a trread for this already but could not find it, so it we go. My compressor at times is really noisy, just wondering if this is normal for the HHR? It seems to be after runnning it for a long time when I come to a stop, I can here it over the radio and engine. It seems to work great, just noisy at times.

I'm not touching this one...

Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
I'm not touching this one...

Right there with you, my bretHHRen........
Old 05-23-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by txsman2930
Yeah, but it's a dry heat. Hate it when people say that.
Yes, it IS a dry heat, indeed - but I don't care who says what - a few years ago, we hit 122 (yes, degrees, and yes, Fahrenheit!) - the airport shut down because most aviation companies only guarantee their stuff up to 121 degrees (or is it 122? Can't remember for sure) Anyway, when it gets up to 122, no one's using the stupid "but it's a dry heat" routine - it's just plain damn hot!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by coolsurf
Thanks for all your imput, I notice more noise when eather the compressor or fan kick in, but haven't gotten under the hood to lissen.
My Wife always drives The HHR, But the last couple of times I've been with her I've noticed a whining noise from somewhere when she's accelerating. This is with the Air on. I mentioned this to the Service Adviser when we were there today concerning the sun visor problem. He has an HHR himself, and he says it's the Air Conditioner, and has the same noise with his! Go figure!!
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 AM

Yep, Got it. It's a wine (growl) that i've heard on many cars when the A/C Compressor
is on. How can you tell? At a stoplight you can hear a wine (growl) noise coming from the front. The best way to tell is to go to the left side of the control, feet, face and turn the A/C on with the button. When off you can't hear anything, but turning it on, a slight wine(growl) developes. Also, when the compressor is running in the defrost mode, I can hear mine. This is why I wish GM would let the driver decide when or if the compressor is on. I heard at one time the reason GM has the compressor on when on defrost was to keep the freon circulating even in cold weather to keep the hoses from getting dry and freon leaking. Whenever the compressor is running there is oil circulating in the system as well as freon. This is supposed to keep down A/C problems and repairs.

Last edited by cvrogershhr; 05-27-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cvrogershhr
I heard at one time the reason GM has the compressor on when on defrost was to keep the freon circulating even in cold weather to keep the hoses from getting dry and freon leaking. Whenever the compressor is running there is oil circulating in the system as well as freon. This is supposed to keep down A/C problems and repairs.
Actually the reason the compressor runs during defrost is because dry air defrosts better then moist air. An air conditioner doesn't actually cool the air, it removes moisture, the byproduct of this action is cooler air.

Although keeping the seals, hoses, ect. from drying out for lack of use isn't the primary intent of running the A/C compressor during defrost, this like metioned above is a byproduct (bonus) of the former.

Your 100% correct in the fact that running the A/C during winter months keeps the system in tip top shape.

The auto industry knowing that the drier air defrosts better than moist air got a big bonus by having the A/C compressor run in defrost. This bonus is less A/C repairs under warranty. Of course, this action like most others also comes with a byproduct. And this would be less A/C repairs for the indusrty in general.

Good for you and I, bad for the repair shops.

Last edited by dan-d; 06-08-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 AM

It was 64 degrees here in NW Wis and got to use my a/c it and the fan were quiet.

If it is not in the 50's here we use a/c..
Old 06-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Well, the loud whirring sound just started happening to me this afternoon on the way back to work from lunch. I guess I'll be heading to the dealer this weekend. CRAP!

Quick Reply: Air Condition Compressor