Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Alarm system goes off ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I hate that the horn sounds when I use the remote. The alarm is engaged same as if I used the remote. I know because the alarm light is on and I've tripped it once or twice when the lock didn't go down all the way. However, it does save the battery in the remote. I only use it half the time!
My horn only sounds if I hit the lock button twice. You can set it up that way using you DIC.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Navyflyer11
My horn only sounds if I hit the lock button twice. You can set it up that way using you DIC.
Navyflyer11 is correct...it's in the owners manual how to disable it. Page 3-46

LOCK HORN
If your vehicle has remote keyless entry, this feature, which allows the vehicle’s horn to chirp every time the lock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter is pressed, can be enabled or disabled. When LOCK HORN appears on the display, press the reset button to scroll through the available settings:

OFF (default): The horn will not chirp on the first press of the remote keyless entry transmitter lock button. The horn will still chirp on the second press.

ON: The horn will chirp on the first press of the lock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter.

See Remote Keyless Entry System Operation on page 2-6 for more information.

Choose one of the available settings and press the information button to select it and move on to the next feature.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 PM

That just changes the chirp Deb, it does not disable it. I tried each setting to see what one I liked.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM

What are you saving the battery in the remote for?
And if you`re worried about the MOTOR on the lock going out, why wait until it`s out of warranty?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM

Not to nitpick but... battery in the remote.. that's a $1 part at most and should be lasting you somewhere between 3-5 years with daily use. The 'motor' on the door lock should also be about a $50 part at most... but I've never had one go on me GM or otherwise, though I have never kept a car more than 6 years with power door locks.

Honestly... you're paying hundreds of dollars to have these convienance features... for the sake of at most $100 over the life of your car, and average case $10... why aren't you using them?

My 2006 doesn't 'chirp' on the first press of the fob, on the 2nd press it does. Perfect IMHO when you're just out of earshot and can't hear the locks go down, the horn gives a nice little confirmatio toot!

J
Old 08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
That just changes the chirp Deb, it does not disable it. I tried each setting to see what one I liked.
Originally Posted by CrashMan82
My 2006 doesn't 'chirp' on the first press of the fob, on the 2nd press it does.
No horn chirp from Dory unless I hit the lock button twice.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:50 PM

Sandy; Turn the horn off on the DIC if you don't like the horn when you lock, if you push the remote just once the horn won't sound.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Thanks Tom...I didn't try this myself, as I don't feel the need to disable it anyway. I like the fact that it chirps (mine is set for 2nd press on fob), as I like knowing that the car is securely locked as I walk away and that lets me know for sure.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM

My wife borrowed my car. She doesn't keep the fob on her key ring, because she has her own car's fob and a gazillion other keys on it. She unlocked the door using the key around 6 am the other day and got a big surprise.

I normally use the fob and not the key.

Thanks for the explanations, all
Old 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM

I woke up the whole motel in PA a few months ago when the key fob was not working. I ended up changing the door lock option to drivers door only when in park and got out and locked the door with the key. The next morning I was liked again.

Quick Reply: Alarm system goes off ?