Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Alarm system goes off ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM

I believe the alarm/fob system is designed to work after the second press of the button, to prevent accidental disarms/alarms when the button is just pressed by a key or something in your pocket.
Setting the alarm is most likely gonna be a straight forward event, so one press will suffice.
But you`d hate to find out you`d accidently disarmed your ride, and it`s been that way for the last 8hrs.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
That's weird. Why even bother with a key, then ???????

Not one of GM's smarter things.
IF your HHR battery dies, YOU NEED to open the door with the key to release the hood and/or the tailgate to jump start or replace the dead battery.

I think it's a good idea!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
No horn chirp from Dory unless I hit the lock button twice.
That is a setting you can change in your DIC, that is what Deb had mentioned above. If your battery is dead, yes, you will need a key to open the door to release the hood, or open the door and climb in to manually release the rear hatch. (Manually releasing the rear hatch is described in your manual)

The alarm still sets in a delay mode if your horn is set to go on the second button. ie.
1. Press lock button once - Delay lock/alarm mode, no horn.
2. Press lock button twice - No delay lock/alarm mode, horn chirps.

To test with either mode,
1. Open drivers door window
2. Press lock button one time or lock on fob one time.
3. reach in and pull up lock button on door.
4. Open door with key in hand, You will have to insert your key in the ignition and turn to ignition to shut the alarm off. (try shutting the alarm off by pressing the unlock button on the fob)
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 AM

Has anyone had their battery (veh.) go so low on power, that it couldn`t even maintain the little current required to open the door locks?
Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Has anyone had their battery (veh.) go so low on power, that it couldn`t even maintain the little current required to open the door locks?
Yes. After coming back from my 2 week vacation, the battery was completely dead.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:39 AM

What caused the drainage?
I leave my veh. undriven for long periods of time, the van for instance, and the battery holds up, fires right up.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
What caused the drainage?
I leave my veh. undriven for long periods of time, the van for instance, and the battery holds up, fires right up.
Don't know what caused it, but the dealer replaced it under warranty.
Could be that the HHR as a seriously underated battery as suggested elsewhere on the forum.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 AM

Pressing the electric lock button on the door assures me that all doors lock. I'm able to see and hear them lock. I don't waste the car's battery energy by making the horn sound and the lights flash. The only time I use the remote is if the car is outside the garage and I can't remember if I locked it. Then the horn sounding is convenient.

By the way, the last remote battery I replaced was about $7 at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 PM

I'VE had no probs with my 2006 HHR, but wifes 2006 ....WHEW!! Altinator went out last month, alarm lock failed this morning, car wont "release", start up! Towed to the dealers again! Was locked in May, alarm set, passenger side rear window smashed, car ransacked at her job, no noise from the car! Anybody have ideas? Possibly the puter screwed up? HELP!!
Tom (DRTYOLMN)
Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by DRTYOLMN
Was locked in May, alarm set, passenger side rear window smashed, car ransacked at her job, no noise from the car! Anybody have ideas? Possibly the puter screwed up? HELP!!
If they went through the window, then the alarm would not have sounded. It really sucks to have your car broken into.

Quick Reply: Alarm system goes off ?