Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

another clunk noise for my fellow members to help me with!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:15 PM

another clunk noise for my fellow members to help me with!

I guess I'll start by stating everything that has happened and what ive checked. about a week to 10 days ago i was coming down my street and was going to back into my driveway. so i pull past my driveway a bit, turn the wheel right, and hear a slight clunk or rub with a mini vibration on the steering wheel. put it in reverse, and back into my drive way. i thought i had crushed a small rock of some sort(kinda sounded like it). so over the past 4-5 days ive been driving around, had some highway and city driving. the rub/clunk seems to be getting louder and happening more often, almost everytime i turn the wheel in either direction. BUT... the biggest detail is that it only seems to happen when im stopped, or moving slow, leading me to believe its a power steering thing. if im turning at a higher rate of speed(on ramp, or turning down a street) the noise isnt there?

I'll finish by saying that i am mechanincally inclined and have already checked my tie rods(no play just normal ball and socket movement), A frame bushings(which have not fallen out yet), and Sway bar links(same as tie rods, ball and socket movement and no play up or down)... i did not check ball joints and dont know what to look for with electronic power steering. i do not have a power steering warning in the DIC though.....Thank you for any help
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

CV Joint/shaft???

How many miles on the car......is the suspension changed in any way??
Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 PM

suspension is stock...44,000 miles. ive owned it since 35,000...it makes this noise in park also.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Would like to know when you figure it out. Mine makes a similar noise, the dealer went all over it and couldn't find anything, but promised if something goes out before 100K they will fix it. I changed the sway bushings and the endlinks anyway, drives better now. With 44k I would change the end links to moogs and the swaybar bushings, I have an extra set of the bushings, send me 20.00 I'll send them to you.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

I will keep you posted ..have an appointment at the dealer saturday morning(5/19) i have a feeling snoopy is correct about the cv joint
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
geg

One option - the steering mechanism, steering rack.
Raise the front of the car above the floor so that the wheels hanging in the void. Sit inside the car, light swinging of steering wheel from side to side. Listen carefully: If you hear a knock at the floor - steering rack needs to be adjusted or replaced. More "spider" (shaft of steering rack, which connects it with the steering column) produces a similar sound, but it rarely and after long mileage.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I guess I'll start by stating everything that has happened and what ive checked. about a week to 10 days ago i was coming down my street and was going to back into my driveway. so i pull past my driveway a bit, turn the wheel right, and hear a slight clunk or rub with a mini vibration on the steering wheel. put it in reverse, and back into my drive way. i thought i had crushed a small rock of some sort(kinda sounded like it). so over the past 4-5 days ive been driving around, had some highway and city driving. the rub/clunk seems to be getting louder and happening more often, almost everytime i turn the wheel in either direction. BUT... the biggest detail is that it only seems to happen when im stopped, or moving slow, leading me to believe its a power steering thing. if im turning at a higher rate of speed(on ramp, or turning down a street) the noise isnt there?

I'll finish by saying that i am mechanincally inclined and have already checked my tie rods(no play just normal ball and socket movement), A frame bushings(which have not fallen out yet), and Sway bar links(same as tie rods, ball and socket movement and no play up or down)... i did not check ball joints and dont know what to look for with electronic power steering. i do not have a power steering warning in the DIC though.....Thank you for any help
Please, let me know how things go with your visit on Saturday. I hope things go smoothly and they get this taken care of for you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Just an update...the SS is at the dealership. they say it will be $39.95 just to look at it if its not under powertrain warranty. ive been doing some searching and had my car in the air last night.. I'm thinking it could be the intermediate steering shaft also...but its up to "buffalo's best service and body shop" to figure it out
Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM

alrighty....so the dealer says i have a bad strut and bearing cap. they want $471.00 to fix it.

i found this one on ebay, and will do this myself
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACDelco-506-...b647dd&vxp=mtr

I have one question for anyone.....does this car need an alignment after i change the strut?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Deceased

Sure does, even if you very carefully mark everything when you take it apart, things will still be "off" enough to make an alignment a required thing.

Quick Reply: another clunk noise for my fellow members to help me with!