Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Bad brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Bad brakes

I have a 09 hhr ss..'....only have 19k miles in two years. Have had dealer turn rotors and replace pads once.........nlw getting the steering wheel shimmy when applying the brakes again.....sounds like rotors again..........has any one else had low miles brake issues?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Deceased

Oh gosh! HHR's and brake issues, if they turned your rotors once you'll be needing new ones. They are pretty thin when new and with 19k and one turning you're probably at the service limit. With the low miles you might try talking to the service manager about the problem. There are so many different opinions on the cures and best pads/rotors to use I'd suggest searching under brakes and making your own conclusion.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Though I have not had any brake issues myself, I do believe rotor warping/failure is a semi-common problem among HHRs. I think it depends a lot on your driving style, and how hard you are on the brakes when you drive, among other things. You will find plenty of people who say they have their rotors warped after 10-15K miles, but some people's rotors last them 40-50K. So I guess it just depends. Sometimes I wonder if the people who have problems with their brakes and HHR in general might have ended up with an HHR manufactured on Monday morning. My mechanic I normally go to said the rotors on my HHR are relatively thin to start with and that when you have them turned/resurfaced, they just become even thinner and warp twice as fast. He suggested not getting them turned but just getting them replaced. He said he'd turn them for me if I wanted, but I'd be back there so soon I'd wish I had just replaced them in the first place. Just a thought....
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Possible option ?

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=viper+rotors
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM

The crappy brakes arent just on the HHR, my wifes Pontiac G6 is the same way.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by djr1973
The crappy brakes arent just on the HHR, my wifes Pontiac G6 is the same way.
yep, just about all of the cars makers are having rotor problems it seem the metal that is used just dont hold up as well these days.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Had my rotor & pads replaced at around 25000. Then resurfaced at around 50000. No issue yet, but next time I'm going aftermarket rotors and pads.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Since its under warranty, make the dealer fix it. But it will come back. Mine started at 10k, was fixed by the dealer, came back again when out of warranty and I put my own rotors and pads on. Came back again and went away....

So, before replacing rotors and/or pads, before spending any money, read this thread and give it a try: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/pulsating-brake-mystery-one-experts-33160/. You can't lose a dime, and it may even fix your issue. Keep in mind that it took nearly 2 months for my pulsating to completely vanish. Also, check out what Hyperv6 says about bedding new pads. VERY important.

Yes, many cars seem to have this issue, but the HHR seems more prone to it than others. The interesting thing is, that you didn't hear about this as much before ceramic pads became OEM. I never had this problem until I had the HHR, and its the only car I've ever had that has ceramic pads on.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM

The biggest problem is too many people blaime the rotors when often it is bearing hubs with too much play leading to Rotor Thickness Variation. This is where the rotor wears uneven and will pulse the pedal.

The other issue that often comes up is material embedded in the rotor surface. A hard stop and hard claping of a brake while hot can embed material in the surface that will make pad grab.

Bedding in will help prevent this. Brakes are never bedded by the factory nor do many mechanics do it anymore. Often this will prevent any issues.

I agree it may todays pads. Not many OE pads are ceramic and often they are not the best money can buy. I have been using EBC and Hawk pads and bedding them in properly. I have yet to have a repeat issue since. With pads often you get what you pay for. Many cheaper pads have cheap carbon fillers that do not hold up well to heat.

As for the brakes it is a common issue on most makes and models today. Every web site has the same complaints and often the same mistake of blaming the rotors.

In the future use a good quality pad and also use a good name brand replacment rotor like Bendix. Do not use a dimpled or slotted unless you just want the looks. They do not help with braking. If anything they will use up the pads a little faster.

The key to solving brake issues is to read and learn the truth. Read many of the web site tech sections for the major MFG's. There is a lot to learn there. Also don't take everything you reads on car web sites for gospel. Even what I stated here read it from Raybestos or Bendix. They know how to get the best performace out of their products and will tell you what to do.

I read up a lot and deal with many brake companies and that is where I learned the truth. I used to believe the lies too.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM

I'm one of the owners who hasn't had a brake problem. I don't use the brakes much. I maintain a healthy following distance so I can slow without using the brakes. When I do use them I apply them firmly and get off the pedal. I usually get at least 90,000 miles out of a set on almost any vehicle. I just replaced the factory brakes on my 99 Silverado with 111,000 miles that I occasionally tow a trailer with.

Quick Reply: Bad brakes