Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Battery died again, WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
AGM batteries vent too.

I am surprised to see that GM used a regular wet cell battery though.
If you want to start a thread on AGM batteries or a thread on why a battery shouldn't be located in the interior of a vehicle, please do. This thread needs to get back on topic. Thanks.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 03-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 PM

Well, this morning when I left for work I noticed I the car was running weak after start-up, and I also noticed I was about 20min early, so I took a cruise down the freeway in "I" gear so the RPMs would be higher for about 15min, and it seemed to have helped a lot, but I still plan to hook it up to the charger over the weekend. I am also driving in "I" gear all the time now as it holds the engine at higher RPMs even during city driving to keep the RPMs higher and hopefully charge the battery better.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Unique Battery Issues, A Thought

There is another thread on this but thought I let you folks in on something I have discovered. I too allowed my battery to die and kept having issues. During a charging attempt, charging from the engine area posts, I discovered that the voltage from the other car was about 15 volts at my engine area posts BUT the voltage at the battery was hardly over 12. Yes, the jumper cables were fine and the voltage at the cigarette lighter was also about 15. What was separating the battery and the engine compartment electrically? I still don't know and am working on it. Additionally, I was charging another car from my HHR and nothing was improving for the other vehicle. I got my voltmeter out and found I had only about 12 volts at the engine battery posts, even after I removed the jumper cables. Then I went to my battery compartment and measured nearly 15 volts! On a whim I pulled the 50A battery fuse and the HHR died, I plugged the fuse back in and restarted the vehicle. Guess what? Suddenly I had a full 15 volts at the battery and in the engine compartment. The other fellow's car then charged okay. IS THERE some component that is controlling something between the battery, the alternator and the engine compartment circuitry? This is crazy. Love to hear any thoughts. -Don