Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Beware chrome inside door handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Exclamation Beware chrome inside door handle

The chrome is peeling on the underside where it is out of view, leaving a VERY SHARP edge of chrome(ium?) that has cut both my wife and I (to bleeding!) while operating the door handle. I have contacted the Chevy dealer where purchased (awaiting response) and also sent a complaint to the NHTSA.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Ouch!!! Have a good look at it to make sure the whole handle isn't cracking. A few people have had problems with the handles breaking, usually caused by using the chrome handle to close the door, rather than use the grip built into the door panel.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM

What year is your HHR? Are you the first owner and how often d you get in and out of your car? I ask because I also live in AZ, Phoenix area, and have an 07 that does not have this issue. I am not the origional owner so I can not say how it was handled (pun intended) prior to my ownership. I als have a friend with an 06 with more miles than mine whom also does not have this issue. It also does not seem to be something I have read about on here to much. What I am getting at is that this might just be a wear and tear issue and somewhat isolated to handles that have had certain types of use like Whopper mentioned.

I will say that when I bought mine that the chrome plating on the shifter knob was peeling up in a few spots and was sharp. I just grabbed a razorblade and trimed it off. No more sharp edges. You might consider trying this on your handles.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Founding Member

I have seen lots of cobalts, pick ups, tahoes, suburbans and avalanches with peeling chrome handles. Never an HHR. Don't think you'll get too far with NHTSA, but good luck. GM now offers a kit to replace handles so you don't have to replace the entire door panel and there are aftermarket kits too.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Don't know of any that are peeling, but I know someone that has had his broken off, and probably was used to pull the door closed. You would think/hope that they would have been built to withstand as least that level of abuse.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Hello Mrsbozo,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue within your vehicle. If you would send me, your name, VIN #, current mileage, address, phone and the name of the dealership you are working with in a PM. I'd like to look into your concern and make sure you find a satisfactory resolution. I look forward to your response.

Marlea Wilson
Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by mrsbozo
The chrome is peeling on the underside where it is out of view, leaving a VERY SHARP edge of chrome(ium?) that has cut both my wife and I (to bleeding!) while operating the door handle. I have contacted the Chevy dealer where purchased (awaiting response) and also sent a complaint to the NHTSA.