Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

A/C Went Out...Completely.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks jx3
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 PM

Bumper Grille Protection

After I saw that SoCal didn't have any bumper grilles available on Sunday, June 18th I ordered one from AutoAnything. The link is listed below. It came today, Wednesday June 21st. It is top notch. I installed it in about 45 minutes and it fits great. Trying to get ready for an 1100 mile road trip and I wanted some protection. Has anyone had issues with cooling?
Good Price Excellent product and Free Fast Shipping.

http://www.autoanything.com/billet-g...A1728A0A0.aspx

John11
Old 06-21-2006, 08:08 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by yeshua63043
Thanks jx3
Not a prob!!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:24 PM

Thanks jx3 from another Mac user. Nice picture of Eddie. I need to post a shot of our Irish Setter cruising.

John
Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by john 11
After I saw that SoCal didn't have any bumper grilles available on Sunday, June 18th I ordered one from AutoAnything. The link is listed below. It came today, Wednesday June 21st. It is top notch. I installed it in about 45 minutes and it fits great. Trying to get ready for an 1100 mile road trip and I wanted some protection. Has anyone had issues with cooling?
Good Price Excellent product and Free Fast Shipping.

http://www.autoanything.com/billet-g...A1728A0A0.aspx

John11
Great find John11...excellent price and it's always good to hear positive feedback about aftermarket parts for the HHR. Looks to me like more and more stuff is becoming available for the HHR.

Thanks for the link to SoCal's comments...just remembered why they weren't on there when I read that. See what happens when you have a birthday and turn 52.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:30 PM

Man.. This is kind of timely. I used the Mr. Bumpstops method for mounting some heavy duty gutter guard for my "lower grill". The guy next door does guttering and roofing and just came over with a 35" piece they had left over from a job. It fits perfectly after cutting down to 32", securing with a couple nuts and washers to the stock bolts up front, and enough to wrap around the lower part of the bumper for a nice tight fit. Since I had the washers and nuts, total cost of $0.00. The protection it will give: priceless.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by john 11
Thanks jx3 from another Mac user. Nice picture of Eddie. I need to post a shot of our Irish Setter cruising.

John
Looking forward to seeing him/her in the pet thread.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/what-kind-pets-yall-got-1358/
Old 06-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by DaJoker
Man.. This is kind of timely. I used the Mr. Bumpstops method for mounting some heavy duty gutter guard for my "lower grill". The guy next door does guttering and roofing and just came over with a 35" piece they had left over from a job. It fits perfectly after cutting down to 32", securing with a couple nuts and washers to the stock bolts up front, and enough to wrap around the lower part of the bumper for a nice tight fit. Since I had the washers and nuts, total cost of $0.00. The protection it will give: priceless.
Did you use anything to cover the outside edges of the screen, so it won't scratch?
Old 06-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Here's why I didn't have one on: I don't care for the look of the PB lower grille with my upper grille, and was planning on installing a Mr. Bumpstops Economy model lower grille. Sindy sent me one and I've had it here for a few weeks.

I was (and am still), planning on taking it to the vendor who will be making custom grilles for us to see about getting them made as a "house grille" for SoCalHHR's. Of course, the whole time it's been on the bench in the shop, and everytime I walk by it screams "hey! Put me on!" - but I'm always too busy and also needed it "off" to give the grille guy for a template. In the meanwhile you see what happens...

There is nothing wrong with the PB lower grilles, they go on in a snap and we have had zero fitment issues. However, I recently decided not to carry their products as the UPPER grille has been the source of many, many headaches for me. (If you ONLY knew! )

And yes, if I was a capitalist, I'd certainly still be selling them - especially with my latest post! But as you can see, some things are more important to me than "sales" - like providing a quality product from a company I can trust.

As far as the "Class Action Suit" - if I have to pay $800 to get my air fixed on a car thats 6-months old, that's too bad. HOWEVER - this is becoming a recurring problem (we have had reports from at least 4 people on this already), so it's starting to smack of "design flaw."

On the way to the dealer to pick up my HHR earlier, I looked at every oncoming car on the road - ALL had protection where the lower vent area is. Even at the dealer, the Service Manager mentioned that it is not a problem on other GM cars, and they don't have mesh - just then I turned to the Corvette right next to me and pointed at the factory MESH behind the large gaping hole below the bumper...(uh, yeah - ooops!)

It would be more important for me, as an HHR owner and a member of this community, to be able to set a precedent that GM would admit it is a design problem and offer to retrofit a solution and pay for any damages incurred to the condenser. It is a first year model car and there are bound to be some problems that arise - they need to step up to the plate and fix the problem - the condenser is not protected from daily road hazards. A dent on my bumper or scratch on a headlight from a stray rock is acceptable from daily driving - losing my air conditioning is NOT!

End of rant.

I'll let you all know what the GM Regional Rep says.
I'm speaking with him in the morning...
Old 06-21-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DaJoker
The protection it will give: priceless.
Well, I can tell you it's at least worth $800!

Quick Reply: A/C Went Out...Completely.