Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Can't install air cleaner housing / help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry you felt offended by the rocket science comment - it's just that removing and reinstalling the air cleaner housing is considered to be one of the most simple maintenance tasks on the HHR - ie: the task itself is not rocket science.

As you can imagine, the grommets do dry out over time, and can get sticky making it hard to pull it apart. Cleaning them and adding grease as long as they aren't torn or damaged works well.

Keep us posted on how replacing the grommets works out. Just slather them, and the posts they mount on, with grease, and they should just "POP" into place.

We advised that the code be downloaded from the CEL. We are trying to help you out - but you cleared it by disconnecting the battery. If it reappears, you would best be advised to have the code downloaded, rather than just clear it - and then post the code here for advice. The code can indicate something simple like a loose gas cap, to a serious issue that can cause damage to the engine, and everything in between.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM

One of the times I forgot to plug the MAF back in on my 2011 I got a B and a C code that needed erasing to get rid of. Never happened on my 2008, just the regular "plug the MAF back, you dummy" code.

You would get a code if the MAF was in wrong or the air horn was leaking at the TB.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Sometimes the rear bracket cracks and will move vertically when you press down the air box onto the grommets.
Trust me you're not being a pest!
I think the frustrating part is we can't see what is causing the issue , and help fix it for you.
My hats off to you for rolling up your sleeves and getting in there so some grease monkey can't over charge you for it.

Last edited by whopper; 10-16-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: edited to change "brakes" to "bracket" ;) Dang typos eh?
Old 10-17-2016, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Sometimes the rear bracket cracks and will move vertically when you press down the air box onto the grommets.
Trust me you're not being a pest!
I think the frustrating part is we can't see what is causing the issue , and help fix it for you.
My hats off to you for rolling up your sleeves and getting in there so some grease monkey can't over charge you for it.
Well said, OB!!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Thumbs up Update

Thanks everyone. This morning I purchased 2 new grommets from the Chevy parts dept. I showed the parts guy the grommets I removed. They look fine but they were really hard. I put the new grommets back on and the cleaner cover slipped on pretty easy. I did put some grease on them to help.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Cool. Just remember to put a dab of that silicone grease or such on them from time to time, and they will last for years.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Good news! At least the bracket isn't the issue!!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 AM
geg

I also had this problem some time ago.
Arm broke, the air filter box could not be fixed.
For some time I have coped with the problem by bending the bracket. But not for long - a bracket completely crumbled.
Currently, my air filter box is just lying on the valve cover, this is fixed only by rubber pipes airducts. Oddly enough, it does not cause vibration or noise. The box holds tight, force of rubber pipes are sufficient for fixation.
There was only one problem - the neck for the engine oil. If you decide to live some time without bracket - Remove the neck and insert the oil cap straight into the hole of the engine (identical thread). If this is not done, the air filter box will weaken and will turn the neck as a result of displacement. Loss of oil directly into the engine compartment, very dirty and depressing.