Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

car stalling when hitting bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM

I always poo-poo-ed keychain explanations or warnings about them, but I'll give it a try. I do have some keys, not full janitor collection sort of keys, but I do have them. I'll move to a car key only setup.

It seems to me that it stalls - the key seemed to be in the run position. The second time it happened I had the windows down, radio off, and tried to listen for anything strange - nothing peculiar happened sound-wise. At least, nothing I could hear. HHR is way quieter than my 4300 S-10 was.

This afternoon I did open up the fusebox. I suppose this comes up way too much here like a cliche, someone says 'check the fusebox'? =)

Well, the fuses and relays WERE pretty loose. Like an old LEGO set from when you were a kid and you let it sit for weeks before playing with it again. Reseated all of them. So, yes, it is true they get loose. Whether or not they get loose enough to cause problems, we'll see.

We'll see what happens tonight when I leave the office.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Heavy key rings, I know have been problems of cars of various brands, not just Chevy's. As a matter of habit, I keep car key's and fobs seperate from all other keys, so only a single key and fob are in the ignition. So far no problems, but???????
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Today, no stalls! Tried several times!
Fuses were reseated and the keys were separated.

Hopefully, one of those 2 was the culprit and I won't have any more of these issues.

Weather was hot just as ever, all week, so I don't think there's any other factors! =)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 AM

I just had the same problem

I went over some pretty rough railroad tracks with my HHR yesterday. As I did, all the displays on the dash suddenly went blank and it stalled. I depressed the clutch pedal and turned the key in the ignition, and it started up again. This has never happened before (or since).

I have a lot of keys on my key chain. I didn't think to check at the time to see if the ignition had been knocked out of the run position.

I was going to start a new thread but then, as almost always, found this had been discussed before. I will push in the fuses but the problem was probably lots of keys combined with a very big bump.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM

I had the same thing happen with rough railroad tracks. Called the dealer and they said if it hit hard enough it may have triggered a sensor telling the ecu that there was an accident and killed the engine.

All I did was put mine in nuetral while rolling and restarted the engine.