Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Car won't start if sitting for more than 3 days.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Blackrose, what is the program if Onstar cannot make a connection? Does it just give up? Does it repeat and how many times? Does the built in cell phone also operate the same way?

Not starting an argument, just glad to find someone who knows how this system operates. Thanks, John McP
Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 AM

For things like remote door unlock, you would be on the phone with the call centre person to initiate the unlock, so they would try it X number of times and call you back type of thing. The Tiger Woods OnStar commercial is a bit misleading timewise.

However, all of this stuff only works if you are above ground...if the vehicle can't get a cell signal, inbound or outbound calls won't work.

The units in the new vehicles are digital only and as far as I know (I work on the software that the call centre staff use) the unit in the vehicle will not try an outbound call unless you push the blue or red button.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:33 AM

I got the car back. They were unable to pinpoint the cause. I talked to the service manager and he said that without a failure of the battery he could not replace it per GM. Not too happy with that one.

I don't have onstar.

I agree with letting the dealer have the car for 3 day with them providing a loaner. Unfortunately, I think the car would just sit outside the shop for 3 days. They don't have that much room so I can't see them tying up a service bay for 3 days just to let my car sit there.

I have thought about buying a replacement battery, or getting one of those jump start kits, battery in a box?

I used a device in the past that would monitor the current drain and record it on a sheet, much like a refridgerator temperature monitor. I'm sure they have a electronic version, by now.

-JJ
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by JJ_HHR
I got the car back. They were unable to pinpoint the cause. I talked to the service manager and he said that without a failure of the battery he could not replace it per GM. Not too happy with that one.
snipped--- -JJ
I think I'd have bought a new battery from them and have it *done* then and there. If no more issues, I'd ask them to pay or give me credit.
You're right, new vehicle, shouldn't be happenning.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 PM

We've been having similar problems with our HHR since we bought it used last October. If it sits idle for more than about five days, the battery will be dead and it won't start. I've had it back to the local Chevy dealer twice. Both times the said the battery failed the load test, and they replaced the battery. Didn't fix it. The problem is still there. I think the load test is invalid for the battery, but that's just my own opinion.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem. I have a Chrysler convertible that I store over the winter. I've done this twice, with the car sitting outdoors over a Minnesota winter for about five months. When I went to pick it up each time, it started instantly, as if it had been parked the day before. If that car can sit for months, why can't the HHR sit for less than a week? Inquiring minds want to know ....

Thanks!

TomK
Mpls, MN
Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Finally took mine in for this issue. They say they chedck as stated in the TSB and it checked out fine. They put in a new battery. It's only been a week so we'll see what happens.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Finally took mine in for this issue. They say they chedck as stated in the TSB and it checked out fine. They put in a new battery. It's only been a week so we'll see what happens.
Was that the solution to your problem?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Since we are now into the dark cooler days of near-winter the generator may not be keeping up with the heavy electrical load. Anyone driving short trips should find ways of keeping the batery sufficiently charged. The Owner's Manual warns us of this potential problem.