Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Check gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM

Ya I checked the neck filler up this way its not uncommon for them to rust where they seal to the cap all looked good there was a tiny bit of metal sticking out.sanded with 600 grit cleaned seal on gas cap it is possible that the ratcheting part internally is worn and is not putting enough torque on
Anyone no the GM part #
Its worth a shot an other ideas I looked underneath and did not see anything obvious threw my scanner on it no codes thrown at least none that mine can detect
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Deceased

I used Stant part number 10841 to replace the bad cap on the '06, it doesn't have the tether arrangement like the OEM cap does, so you can leave it on the roof after a fill up...trust me.

If you prefer to go back to an OEM cap from your dealer or the internet you need GM part number 10372246 which lists for $20.56. Probably much cheaper at RockAuto of someplace like that.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
I used Stant part number 10841 to replace the bad cap on the '06, it doesn't have the tether arrangement like the OEM cap does, so you can leave it on the roof after a fill up...trust me.

So that is what caused that drunk driver to hit you....he/she was trying to give you back your gas cap. Hope it's not too soon to jest.......
Old 01-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Deceased

Nope its not too soon to jest there 07azhhr.

I've gotten really good at listening for the gas cap to roll off the roof as I pull away from the pumps.

A bit off topic, but I was so bummed that the medical supply place had run out of the "secret agent" model canes. I really wanted the one with the built in 12ga shotgun and short wave transmitter, the one they gave me doesn't even have a place to hide microfilm.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 PM

BTW, there is a cute little hanger thing on the cover just for holding the after market gas cap. I surprisingly had no trouble getting used to using it. How in the world could you get the cap to stay on the roof long enough to fill the tank? doesn't it just roll off the roof like the "pepsi" can does while you are working in the garage?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Deceased

You know I know that coa holder thing is there on the fuel door, but do you think I can make my brain use it, nope...the cap goes on the roof every time, and it does stay put....until you pull away from the pump.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

You know I know that coa holder thing is there on the fuel door, but do you think I can make my brain use it, nope...the cap goes on the roof every time, and it does stay put....until you pull away from the pump.
Same here on the roof, I've added a Locking cap, so no tether. So far I've always put it back on..

(Hope I didn't just jinx myself)..
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 AM

On my ‘02 Grand Am the gas cap had no tether either. I don’t really remember how many times my wife, the kid or me drove off with gas cap on the trunk lid. It got so every gas station we went to would have a few to offer us for replacement, so at least we were not alone in doing this.

They figured at least one was ours.

Finally I took a length of brass brazing rod and some of that flat folded link brass dog chain and made a tether for the damn thing. The cap had a vent hole in the center so putting a screw, nut and washer to hold the chain was simple enough that I could handle it. It was a bit of a bother to put the chain in the filler neck but not that bad once I removed the anti gas theft flap part thingy.

That was still on the car when I boned the car.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Talking

If you prefer to go back to an OEM cap from your dealer or the internet you need GM part number 10372246 which lists for $20.56. Probably much cheaper at RockAuto of someplace like that.
Did u replace the cap on the 06 due to the check gas cap or a code coming up?
Maybe I could just get an after market cap and then when I fill up I could just leave the sunroof open then when I stop the cap would come flying in the car and hit me.
That might even remind me to put the cap on.

I knew there was a use for the sunroof in the winter time
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Deceased

Yeah we were getting an intermittent "Check gas cap" from time to time on the '06, and that was the reason the cap was replaced. The factory cap was just plain worn out with a gasket/o-ring that had gone as hard as a rock, couldn't keep the proper seal on the filler neck anymore.

Hmmmmm, interesting theory on the sunroof, if you could manage to do the "cap through the sunroof" trick, you would be a sensation on YouTube.

Quick Reply: Check gas cap