Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Clunking issue: Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by christy63may
I have a 2009 hhr and hear the knocking and thumping in the front end, if its the sway bar link,is it just the bushings to be replaced or the whole thing,?
The sway bar LINKS do not have replaceable bushings, so you need to buy the entire link.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Thanks so much. Taking my tomorrow and now I'll know another place to check for the clunk.

Boydie Back in the Saddle...................

Originally Posted by 1970judge
SO tonight I set out to find exactly, what was clunking. Alot of us have the mystery clunk, so I will fill you in on what I found. I don't trust a shop to 'find' it for me, so instead of them throwing parts at it, it was easier to find it myself.

I out my hands on everything underneath that car that had a bolt, nut, or bushing. Inside of the fender well's behind the caliper bracket there is a bar that attacked to the upper middle of the strut, down to the sway bar. I assume this is GM's idea of a sway bar end link. I had a friend rock teh car as I found out I could recreate the noise by rocking the car back and forth. On the bolt that mounts it to the strut I put my ahdns on it and griped it firmly and low and behold no more clunking noise. My assumption is that there is some type of bushing, that has gone south.

I highly advise anyone with the mystery clunk in the front end to grab ahold of that bar while someone is rocking the car and see if that silences the noise.

-Marcus
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Sway bar end links

replaced them and haven't solved the clunk sound. Will try the sway bar frame bushings.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM

mystery clunks

I think some of the rattles or clunks in front end or column, are the interm. shaft where the 2 pieces slide together and the power assist motor gear. haven't seen on the posts where anyone replaced the gear. I think it's plastic.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM

Intermediate shaft has a horseshoe type universal joint, that is the problem.

There is an entire thread devoted to replacing the power steering motor.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Torgue specs:

Stabilizer link to Strut Nut: 65 N.m - 48 lb ft
Stabilizer Shaft Link to Stabilizer bar nut: 80 N.M - 59 lb ft
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Thanks Stryker

We picked up our 08 HHR last year and it started clunking in the last couple months. Researched the problem here and used your pics for help. Took the noise out. Used Moog parts. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM

Kloncking noise

Hi,

I had my Struts and links replaced. Great for about three days and the clunking again.. Not as bad as the 149,000 mile parts that were replaced. But it is still there.

The pictures that were posted are not the same as mine. His did not have coil springs (They are not on the struts). Did some HHRs not have Coil Front Springs????
The Dealer kept telling I had loaded struts on my HHR..

My HHR is a 2007LT 2.2 Auto

I will see about the Moog parts..
Old 07-03-2014, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

All HHR's have coil springs/struts in the front. The previous pictures in this thread just don't show the top portion of the strut assembly.

Name:  Front Pedders strut.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 06-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Yes, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but couldn't find the answer on it. I had the sway bar links (the vertical rod) replaced, but the clunk has come back on the right side, started when I went over a bump. Got under there and found that the bottom nut was not tight. I put a wrench on it and it seemed to turn too easy, felt like it wasn't tightening, but wasn't sure if its supposed be that way, or should it be nice and tight????

Quick Reply: Clunking issue: Solved!