Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Dead Battery?

Well, I tried today to turn on my HHR to go to work. First tried with the remote but no answer. Then, I open the door with the key, and no lights inside. I didn´t try to turn on manually, obeying my common sense. Then, in my opinion is that the battery is dead after 4 years of use... Do you know if there is another issue, recall, TSB or something regarding to this? I´m afraid that a connector needs to be replaced, or a harness or a diodes bridge or anything need to be replaced. BTW, do you suggest to use a OPTIMA brand sealed battery? I want to stay away from regular batteries.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 AM

I forgot to ask, it´s safe to pass energy comming from another car to the battery on the rear instead the front posts?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Deceased

No TSB's on the batteries that I could find, but being that it is the factory Delco and considering the warm climate you have, failing after four years is not unexpected. Please be careful and follow the jump starting directions in the owners manual n order to avoid either blowing the power steering fuse or damaging the power steering motor.

Once you get it running, either have the battery changed right away, or put it on a charger. Using the vehicle to charge a completely discharged battery is very hard on the alternator, and it can also damage the diodes in the alternator.

I've heard both good and bad things about Optima batteries over the years, more bad things to be honest, but many here use them so hopefully they'll give you some input.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks Mike!

I will follow your comments... BTW... Which battery brand do you suggest? Your 3 HHR has the same battery (OEM), or have you replaced?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Deceased

The 2006 has a battery from Advance Auto Parts, the 2007 has a replacement Delco, and the 2011 is on its factory battery. The Advance battery is working just fine and its a bit cheaper than a replacement Delco, I've also heard good things about the battery offered by NAPA.

Just make sure that you or the installer remember to either reuse or replace the vent tube when the battery is installed. Don't be too surprised if the vent tube breaks when its removed from the current battery, they seem to become very brittle over time.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM

I´ve read some posts about the optima batteries on the web, and many of the statements is that these are rubbish!!! I think that I´ll go with LTH (Is a mexican Brand). My other car has 4 years with one of these. Advanced auto parts Doesn´t exist on México. And also, I´ll remove the battery and bring it to autozone to recharge. I don´t want to mess my HHR or my other car.

Good comments Mike !
Old 09-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
I think that I´ll go with LTH (Is a mexican Brand).
Should be right at home in the HHR... Seriously, I've owned 4 Optimas in my lifetime. Two of them died before the warranty was up and it's only a 3 year warranty. Twice the price and half the warranty? Never again! Don't know what people see in them. Whatever battery you get make sure it's vented.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Any battery today that lasts 3+ years is doing pretty good. Mine lasted 5 and I was happy. Never died on me, but I knew I was on borrowed time.

Buy a brand you know about. Look more at the warranty than anyting else. You want at least a full 3 year free replacement warranty.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 PM

battery

My 2006 2lt at 52,346 miles is the original battery and is still going strong and I live in a hot climate today will be 104o f, stay with a Delco battery if you can or look at the Sears AGM,I wish you the best.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Any battery today that lasts 3+ years is doing pretty good.
I know what you mean. My HHR´s battery did well then for four year service. A different situation was on my other car. It had a crappy VARTA OEM Battery and just lasted 10 months since new! Remember too that I had a 1995 T-Bird and I replaced the battery at 2003...

Quick Reply: Dead Battery?