Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Disappearing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 AM

Disappearing Coolant

Ok.. yet another problem..

It seems like I was down 3/4 of a gallon last night.. temp was acting erratic and I lost my heat. Saw temps of up to 230. I topped it off and saw the usual 198-210 during my commute. No signs of coolant in the oil or any white smoke. So far I have yet to identify a leak..all I know is it has been bitterly cold here recently.

Has anyone had any luck with out-of-warranty repairs? I am at wits end with GM's quality issues and if this ends up being serious they really should good-will it to me... 58k miles is too few to have any major problems.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Have you seen this thread?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Deceased

There are three places the coolant could have gone, the ground, the crankcase, or out the tailpipe.

Losing 3 quarts out of a system that holds only 7.4 total is obviously cause for concern.

If your oil looks good, no chocolate milk appearance or whitish/brown gunky deposits on the top of the dipstick or underside of the filler cap, that good.

If your not being followed by a white cloud that's more than the normal cold weather condensatio, also good, but while it's running give the exhaust a sniff for coolant. Maybe even catch a few drops of the condensate from the tailpipe for a sniff, just to be safe.(But don't rule out a compression check and cylinder leakdown test, HHR headgaskets and heads are weak spots)

That leaves a leak as the third option, and as you know, HHRs are cramped under the hood.

So I'd take it to your dealer or a good radiator shop and have them try to trace the leak, it could be a loose hose, the coolant recovery/reservoir may have cracked(my 2011 had that happen), or it could be one of the radiator end tanks.(They'll do a dye test if the leak isn't immediately obvious)

As far as a "Goodwill" repair from GM, they're handled on a case by case basis, and your best bet is talking to your dealership's Service Manager directly.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Thanks guys. I just needed the verification. It is raining here now so it is tough to trace leaks but the radiator doesn't appear to be leaking..I haven't checked the reservoir but it is down since last night when I topped both the tank and radiator off.

Hopefully this is just something stupid....
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I had the head gasket on my 2.2 replaced way back at 153,000 klms, no issues since, I now have 249,000 klms. the leak was internal to the head gasket from the coolant jacket to #2 cylinder, I see you have a '08 SS turbo so maybe a visit to the dealer would bring results, you will never know if you don't ask them!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Hey AJL08SS,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your HHR. I would be happy to look into your situation for you. If this is something you would like me to do please PM me your full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 AM

Water pump weep hole is in a well at the top of the pump, so you can't see it dripping. Do you regularly check the coolant level?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Dealership is trying to charge me $9000 for an engine?????????????

To Chevrolet Customer Service:

I cannot stress enough that I am NOT PAYING for this repair. I have been on the phone with GM already countless times and this is outrageous. I have 58,8xx miles on this car and there is no excuse to need an engine at this mileage, warranty or not. I had more faith in GM to make products that could last and this is inexcusable.

The dealership is Richard Lucas Chevrolet in Avenel, NJ. Their contact number is 732-634-0100 and the service rep is Dave W.

My name is Alan Lambert and the vehicle is a black 2008 HHR SS.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Jonathan did say to ..." please PM me your full name and contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership. "
He may be able to help you, PM him the info he needs.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

I already did but will do it again. Forgive me but I am livid right now.

Quick Reply: Disappearing Coolant