Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door chime

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Door chime

When your keys are in the ignition and you open the door without taking them out the chime sounds. When you leave the turn signal on to long it gets louder to let you know to turn it off. when you leave your seatbelt off or the passenger does the chime goes off. Mine stopped doing any of these things, and the raido speaker on the drivers door isn't working. Is it the speaker or is a fuse blown somewhere? Any body have this happen?
Please let me know
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 PM

The chime on my driver door does not work when the door is fully open.If I move it from fully open to only partly open it works.Weird.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chitownmike
When your keys are in the ignition and you open the door without taking them out the chime sounds. When you leave the turn signal on to long it gets louder to let you know to turn it off. when you leave your seatbelt off or the passenger does the chime goes off. Mine stopped doing any of these things, and the raido speaker on the drivers door isn't working. Is it the speaker or is a fuse blown somewhere? Any body have this happen?
Please let me know
If the stereo works fine otherwise then it likely is not a fuse. Check the dead speaker - you can swap it with the one on the passengers side if need be to isolate the problem.

Did you resolve the problem you had some time back with the speedo jumping etc? Fuse block mounting bolts?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hozer
The chime on my driver door does not work when the door is fully open.If I move it from fully open to only partly open it works.Weird.
Not weird. Most likely that door switch has a bad spot. Replacing the switch should fix it.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:33 AM

We found wires that the insulation had rubbed off from touching the engine block and it was an intermittent ground short. I taped up the wires and rerouted them away from the engine and that solved the problem. I figured this was a bad speaker as the rest of the stero works but I didn't want to take the door panel off and create new squeeks and rattles. The repair solved the jumping speedo problem that Whopper asked about I have not gotten to the speaker yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 PM

The speaker is 98% sure to be water damaged. Water infiltrates past the window seal and causes corrosion on the coils of the speaker.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM

finally took the door apart and their is no corrosion on the speaker or connections. hooked the speaker up to a portable radio and it worked fine.No I am going to start checking the wiring from the speaker to the radio.