Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Door latch cable un hooked or broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Door latch cable un hooked or broken?

While on vacation my drivers door stopped opening from the inside. I have checked the handle and it is not broken. I hear a scratching noise back by the door latch when operating the inside door handle. Is it possible that the cable came un hooked? If its broken can you replace the cable or is it made right on the door latch? Any info on getting to the door latch out would be helpful. The door still opens from the outside.

Thanks

I have a 2009 HHR
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Founding Member

I would think that removal of the door panel will be the only way to know why the inside handle is not working.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Administrator

my passenger door had this issue, I popped off the inner panel and discovered the cable had slid off the post on the door handle I put back into place and reassembled the panel that was 4 or 5 months back and no further issues
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM

I had the door panel off to check to see if it was the handle, everything is good there. It's broken/unhooked by the latch and I wanted to get some advice from someone that knows about dealing with the latch and cable first.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM

There is a couple of youtube videos on this very issue. Apparantly, the door handle mechanism is rivited to the panel, and you have to buy the whole door panel to fix it....but the clips show an aftermarket kit that allows you to just replace the handle.....

Hope this helps....
Corey.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM

I think the OP's talking about the other end of the cable - at the latch. I disconnected the cable at the handle myself when I had the door pad off, but never looked at the other end.

OP, what's the issue? Is it just bad access? Can you tell if the cable end is still there or not, or if the clip holding the end is broken or not? If the cable end and clip are not broken, it should be fixable. I don't know if the latch has to come off to do it, though.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Yes, the cable at the latch is the issue. I pulled the panel off to see if the linkage had come off. Then I noticed it wasn’t a linkage but a cable that ran back to the latch. I didn’t want to start ripping it out of the door without finding out if there were any tricks or shortcuts for this. The stuff I had always messed with in the past was in the 70’s and 80’s and made of metal. If I break something with all the plastic that is involved here, I will make the problem worse, possibly even not being able to shut my door to drive it. Does anybody have any pics of it so I can see what I am dealing with? Is the cable made on the latch as one unit or is it detachable?
Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bowtiebandit24
Yes, the cable at the latch is the issue. I pulled the panel off to see if the linkage had come off. Then I noticed it wasn’t a linkage but a cable that ran back to the latch. I didn’t want to start ripping it out of the door without finding out if there were any tricks or shortcuts for this. The stuff I had always messed with in the past was in the 70’s and 80’s and made of metal. If I break something with all the plastic that is involved here, I will make the problem worse, possibly even not being able to shut my door to drive it. Does anybody have any pics of it so I can see what I am dealing with? Is the cable made on the latch as one unit or is it detachable?
Thanks
I found this http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=364179

I've been having a problem with the lock/unlock being sluggish and took the panel off this morning but the pictures I took didn't show how the cable was connected. Even the link I gave does not show how the cable is attached but I'm guessing you have to take out the whole door latch assembly.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Guess I will have to buy a book for it, got a funny feeling I am going to need it. Speakers are cutting on and off now.