Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driver side door wont unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Driver side door wont unlock

Ive had my 2008 hhr for now 2 years. Its been good to me. Its driven me all around the state of texas. The one main drawback is the driver side door however. Now ive never had a keyfob for this car and have always used the lock manually. At time when going to unlock the door it has been hard to turn and unlock acting like something is holding it. However 1 year ago. The key would just no let me into the car. The key would turn the lock clyinder but the silver knob would not budge nor unlock. I ended up calling a locksmith who had to pull on the the silver knob to unlock it.

Few weeks ago my chip key broke trying to unlock the door as the cylinder acted hard to turn. Eventually i put the key into a vicegrip and was able to get in. And 145 dollars later i had 2 new keys. TODAY. It happened again. The key would turn the cylinder but it would not unlock and the silver knob would not go up. I tried forcing it to no avail. Eventually i got a screwdriver and clothes hanger to pull up on the silver knob. and something was pulling it back down. It would not unlock. and eventually with all the pressure it broke. PISSED i grabbed some vicegrips and the key. And with the silver knob had being pulled up most the way. And going nack and forth left and right with vicegrips and key it finally popped loose.

I have locked an unlocked the door from the inside with buttom a thousand times trying to make something get stuck. It takes two times to lock my door. When i press ot the first time it beeps three times then if i press it the second time it will go ahead and lock. I also turned the car on and off while adoing this. And also tried manually unlocking/locking the door from the outside with the key with no friction or something trying to hold it back.

Any tips on what to do? Ive tried lubing up the keyhole, however the cylinder to me i dont believe is the issue. Any tips are appreciated.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:21 PM
Technical Moderator

Obviously it is a problem inside the door. Either the latch mechanism or the linkage to it.

Did anybody ever think to remove the door card and look? Seems a locksmith would have suggested it at an extra fee.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Obviously it is a problem inside the door. Either the latch mechanism or the linkage to it.

Did anybody ever think to remove the door card and look? Seems a locksmith would have suggested it at an extra fee.
Ive had two lock smiths work on it that didnt suggest that. By card do you mean the panel itself? Because thats what im probably gonna have to do myself next.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Clean the lock and latch assembly and use a lubricant , to loosen it up.
If you find broken parts send hellshotrod a PM he is clearing out his collection of parting out HHR’s
Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 AM
geg

Originally Posted by oldblue
clean the lock and latch assembly and use a lubricant , to loosen it up. ...
х2!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Technical Moderator

I think it is beyond cleaning and lubing; slimjims tend to break things.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Why not just get a key fob ?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Administrator

I don’t see mention of a slim Jim, just pulling on the silver lock knob.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:04 AM
Banned

I have done it by own without taking help of any I have taken help from online videos and have unlocked it.

Last edited by donbrew; 08-11-2019 at 09:53 AM.