Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear driver side door lock malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Angry Rear driver side door lock malfunction

I have a 2007 HHR LT1, 2.4L with approximately 30,000. My rear driver side stopped operating . It always locks, but most of the time, it will not un-lock with the key fob. I'm out of warranty by time and am a little annoyed that this would happen with such low miles. Any experience with this issue or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Have you tried hitting the unlock button a third time? That is what works on mine. I do not have the time to remove the door panel to investigate any further. Give it a try.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Mine is the exact same way. And like donbrew mentioned, I just keep FOBing away until it unlocks.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Mine is still working fine, also an '07 with 32K.......

I'd pull the door panel and look for binding anywhere and maybe a little lube. (not much because you don't want to attract dirt.)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks all! Yes, I hit the fob numerous times and have the same result. This is an intermittent issue. Sometimes it works fine, usually after coming to a stop and engaging Park. I appreciate the advice and am encouraged so far; as no one has suggested this is an electrical/electronics issue. I guess I had better remove the door panel and see what's going on...
Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 AM

Have you looked at the lock rod. Look where the rod pops up on the door panel if the hole is to tight it will not let it pop up. I know that it worked before but as the heat and cold dry up the panel over time the hole will get smaller.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Dear gmzimmer,

To make sure I understand your situation with your rear driver side door… It will lock on its own and then you can't unlock it with the fob or anything?

Are you getting the "KEY FOB BATT (Battery) LOW" message on your DIC?

Can you pull up on the door lock mechanism?

I realize that you have posted that you are out of warranty but I want to make sure that myself and other members of the forum completely understand your situation in order to work with you towards a resolution.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

FWIW. My 2010 had a similar issue one time at about 8k miles. Hit the fob twice and noticed the passenger rear door was still locked.All others were unlocked. Tried locking and unlocking again with same results.
Thanks to this forum and the good members here, I was aware of "issues" with the lock design.
My solution was: Got in car and manually operated lock knob up and down vigorously about 20-25 times! This seemed to loosen up any binding that was going on with the mechanism. It has now been trouble free for the past year.
Don't know if this will help you, but it could help someone else.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

mr good wrench put a new actuator on mine it works right now.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM

Dear Putter,

I see that you have a 2009 Chevrolet HHR. I recommend getting the vehicle into the dealership for diagnosis. The technicians may provide with information and a fix that could be covered under warranty.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Rear driver side door lock malfunction