Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear driver side door lock malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM

The lock rod hole seems to be loose enough, i.e. it does not seem to bind when the lock operates
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Hello Michelle/ Chevrolet Customer Service :

Thanks for your comments!

It will lock on its own - and then it does not unlock with the fob most of the time. I can pull the lock rod up and unlock it.

To my knowledge, I am not getting a "KEY FOB BATT (Battery) LOW" message anywhere. I'm sorry to say I am unfamiliar with the term "DIC"

I can pull up (and push down) on the door lock mechanism.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Again, thanks for your interest in finding a resolution.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:01 PM

I have not tried 'exercising' the lock mechanism as you described, but I have nothing to lose by trying it - Thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

I am hoping I do not have to visit Mr. (or Ms) Goodwrench for the fix, but I might have to do that eventually!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Dear gmzimmer,

The DIC is the Driver's Information Center on your Chevrolet HHR.

I completely understand about wanting to fix this situation yourself. I am hoping that there will be members on the forum to assist you with this. However, if you do decide to take the vehicle to the dealership let me know.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM

To Michelle/Chevrolet customer service, et.al.:

I tried Firemangeorge's recommendation of vigorously exercising the lock rod and it seemed to have had a positive effect, at least it has so far . I will advise all if this is not the case. At least a trip to the dealership has been forestalled for now!

Thanks to all for your advice!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM

My 2006 rear driver door stopped working 3 years ago then all of a sudden it works then it stops... Attempted the knob up and down.

I still have to check the plug in between the doors and the pillar where I really think the issue is with a bad or better a dirty connection as Chevy says to avoid the warranty word.

Sure gets tiring climbing over the seat or rolling windows down to unlock the door. Still have not figured out why the door lock knob was moved to the rear of the door from the front like the older cars have.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by gmzimmer
To Michelle/Chevrolet customer service, et.al.:

I tried Firemangeorge's recommendation of vigorously exercising the lock rod and it seemed to have had a positive effect, at least it has so far . I will advise all if this is not the case. At least a trip to the dealership has been forestalled for now!

Thanks to all for your advice!
Ah yes! Shade tree mechanics at it's best! Now if I could get my door speaker working in my Dodge truck.(Bigger hammer?)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for your insight! I also find the door lock post location inconvenient. There's probably a reason for it; possibly packaging of the door lock mechanism, as it is mechanically more feasible to place it in proximity to the lach. Or, more likely, the result of a cost reduction proposal (with the cents out to four decimal places) in GM product planning. Your "bad connection" sounds solid to me. I still may not be out of the woods on this issue, so I'll keep that in mind. Overall this car has been very good mechanically/electrically. I have many more problems with 1) Lousy decomposing streets that allow chunks of ashphalt and concrete to be thrown into the air,and 2) Morons in parking lots that fling shopping carts about and/or scrape/rub and otherwise molest your car with packages and corrugated boxes on their way to theirs; which is usually a well rust-ventilated, uninsured, 15 year old 'beater'.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM

" ..... on their way to theirs; which is usually a well rust-ventilated, uninsured, 15 year old 'beater'."

I park way, way, way far away from them.......

Quick Reply: Rear driver side door lock malfunction