Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Driving through high water - sputter

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM

I'll tell ya', next time I see high water during a storm, I will break the law and turn around. It was quite deceiving though, it didn't look that bad. I was already going the long way home because I knew the Highway was most likely flooded. I was reluctant to go even further out of my way and most likely every other way was flooded as well. This will teach me I'll tell ya'.

Ok, partner had to take the car today. T/C light is off now but still egine light. I will read & clear the code(s) when she comes home tonight.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

tip for you: the codes you quoted were incorrect, and might cause you some issues if you do a search for them - ie: "PO131 and PO171" are actually P0131 and P0171 (they have a ZERO rather than the letter "o").

Internal damage would refer to damaged valves/pistons etc. if water was ingested far enough.

to add to some of the other hints - check for broken mounts on the airbox itself as one member found that his was broken and was generating that dreaded p0171.

For the p0131, check the connection at the upper o2 sensor - the water might have knocked it loose.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

I would start checking from the filter, since you discovered it wet, and move forward into the engine......including what fireman mentioned above, the plugs and so on.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Deceased

In a "High Water" situation, you wouldn't be violating traffic laws by turning around. Here in Carolina and many other states, the Transportation Departments have a safety program and PSA's reminding motorists to "Turn around, don't drown, your car is not a boat".

Vehicles can begin to float in less than a foot of water, and HHR's are vulnerable to damage if driven through water that is deeper than the tire sidewalls unless you creep through at a speed equivalent to a slow walk.

When in any doubt, turn around and take an alternate route.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Administrator

My 1970 Lincoln Town Car was a boat, but it would have stalled in 10 inches of water
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Ok guys, thank you for all the inputs. VERY much appreciated. This is our only car and I must keep it healthy and running.

Partner had to take it to work today. I read the codes and got a new one. P0300 – Misfire along with P0131 & P0171. (Yes whooper, you are right, it looks like an “O” on my screen, my bad.) I cleared the codes and she took it to work. She said the T/C light came on. Later the T/C light went off and engine light came on. I will read the codes tonight. Most likely more of the same. Will see.

This weekend I will forego dog rescue (I have three fosters here along with my four dogs, it’s a mad house, lol) and have two days to delve into this. (Unfortunately I am broke until next week in which I was planning on two new front tires, alignment, from installing all the new front end parts, and an oil change. Oh, maybe a new air filter for good measure since it got wet.)
  • I already checked the air box from when I found the wet filter, but will reexamine much closer for any cracks, holes, or bad grommets.
  • I will pull of the hose and look into air intake of the engine. See if I can find anything.
  • Maybe pull out the spark plugs see what they look like. (Just replaced them last year.)
  • Look at the O2 sensors wiring. Not sure if 131 is specific to which O2 sensor.
  • Look at the EVAP can, just because donbrew mentioned that.
  • I should, if I can get to it, check the fuel pump wiring since 171 may indicate low fuel pressure.
Anything else I should do?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 PM

OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0131 Oxygen O2 Sensor Low Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)
Those are links, not random letters.
P0171 means VACUUM LEAK or bad/dirty MAF

P0131 means shorted #1 O2 sensor

Google is great!
Old 09-04-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0131 Oxygen O2 Sensor Low Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)
Those are links, not random letters.
P0171 means VACUUM LEAK or bad/dirty MAF

P0131 means shorted #1 O2 sensor

Google is great!
Awesome site donbrew. Thank you very much. I have a lot of prodding to do.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Duh, for some reason I thought yesterday was Friday. So, I will be prodding tomorrow and actually can't wait cause I though I was doing it today.

Dropped another new code: p1133 - Apparently has to do with the front O2 sensor. Gee, hope it is the wiring cause I wont be able to buy new part until next week.

You know, dog rescue is what got me into this mess. I got caught in that massive storm coming home from an adoption event. Also, it wasn't more than what, two weeks ago we had that crippling flood in the whole Detroit area.

Heres whos not going to adoption this week (unless they get a ride, *doubts):

Link to Keeva

Link to Willie Oh, and thats a typo, Willie weihgs 75# not 57#. He's a big boy. Had him as a foster for over a year now. Everyone is afraid of him by the way he looks but hes just a lover.

And I got one that is Heartworm positive that is going through treatment, Ezmo the Border Collie. No pictures online yet until she pulls through.

Thought you guys might like some dog pictures while I wait.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Administrator

dry out the harness connections first , there are many methods some more preferred than others, I like just a quick blast of compressed air ( if you don't have a compressor, then a can from Office Depot works) ensure that there are no bent or broken pins in the connectors, disconnect the battery ( negative terminal at the battery) while you do this to ensure no further damage or short outs. When you're done reconnect the battery and fire it up, oh and you have to ask yourself do you feel lucky? well do you? I think you'll do just fine , you may have to replace the O2 sensor but maybe not!

Nice puppies, I hope they get to a good home soon!

Quick Reply: Driving through high water - sputter