Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Electrical problems

My 2006 HHR has been having numerous electrical problems the last year and a half. The first problem is the bell that rings when you have the door open and the keys are left in the ignition. This also ring when you forget to turn off the turn signals. The left front speaker doesn't work. The seat heater in the passenger seat stopped working. Yesterday the lumbar support in the drivers seat stopped working. Anybody have issues like this. Its not the fuses as I pulled every one and checked it with a meter,cleaned the contacts and reinstalled them. Is it cheap wiring?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike McAuley
Old 03-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Is it cheap wiring? No - it's a car that is now 8 years old, and things do break.

But things that break can be fixed.

Not sure what you mean about the bell that rings when the door is left open - does it not work, or does it sound all the time? You mention that the drivers speaker does not work - well, the chimes for the doors and the turn signals operate through the speakers - so fix or replace that speaker, and check the others, including the tweeters in the window pillars.

Seat heater - check the connection under the drivers seat - and throw an ohm meter on the leads for the heating elements in the seat itself.

For more info just use the search tool at the top of the page - speaker replacement and troubleshooting the seat heaters has been well covered.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM

The driver side speaker is were the chime comes from. Therefore if the speaker is bad, no chimes.

The SEARCH box will yield hundreds of hits on "door speaker", actually 1300 hits.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Plus. It's an 8+ year old car. Things do break and wear out over time. Pretty minor stuff for a car that old.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Administrator

almost an antique! door speaker is not working then neither will the chimes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gohmer
Anyone know how to disable just the chime? I WILL do it, be nice to hear from someone that has.
I don't know of any way to disable the door chimes but some hhr's the chime volume can be adjusted.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/adjusting-headlight-door-key-chime-volume-15860/
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 AM

I understand the car is eight years old and things break,or just plain wear out. I did have an issue with other wiring and just wanted to know if their was any talk about problems related to electrical wiring.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 02:15 PM

There was an issue with some 06s where the fuse box was loose, mightdo a search on that.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by chitownmike
My 2006 HHR has been having numerous electrical problems the last year and a half. The first problem is the bell that rings when you have the door open and the keys are left in the ignition. This also ring when you forget to turn off the turn signals. The left front speaker doesn't work. The seat heater in the passenger seat stopped working. Yesterday the lumbar support in the drivers seat stopped working. Anybody have issues like this. Its not the fuses as I pulled every one and checked it with a meter,cleaned the contacts and reinstalled them. Is it cheap wiring?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike McAuley
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear of this vehicle concern. I would like to take a further look into this. Please send a PM with your VIN, current mileage, and full contact information if we can be of any extra assistance. I look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care