Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

EPS issue and column rattle fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM

EPS issue and column rattle fixed

So, I am having continued issues with my EPS not working and am hoping for some advice.

I have replaced the EPS motor 3 times in our HHR before it was covered by recall. The first 2 times I was pleased to have fixed the issue though it only lasted for a year or so.

The last time was about 2 years ago and did not fix the issue. We have dealt with this on and off (mostly not working) since we got the car in late 2006.

Once it was finally covered under a recall or extended warranty, I took it to the dealer last month to see what they say about it.
They wanted to replace the motor under recall, so I let them and of course it didn't fix anything and they wanted to charge me for a diagnostic. I understand the dealership can't fix everything for free, but I hoped they would help me out a bit, especially since I work there (just on the Ford/Honda side)

So today I contacted the Chevy service manager and asked him for help diagnosing and getting this issue fixed once and for all. He said to bring it to him and they will scan the BCM for codes that my OBD2 can't read. I am hoping he will do that and find something and then agree to at least help get it resolved.

I have not gotten mean or shown that I'm upset at this point and since I do work there I was hoping to be able to avoid that part.

This is just very dangerous and my wife drives this car a minimum of an hour a day and besides the constant stress and near accidents when it comes and goes and sends her heading for a guard rail or the car next to her during corners, her hands and arms are hurting from the abnormal effort needed to steer the car especially at slower speeds.

I have read that possible causes could include the steering module, torque sensors, steering column (part of which was already replaced under recall) and possibly a faulty ground harness to the module.

I'm hoping someone here has been through this and has ended up with positive results and hoping maybe chevy customer service can give some advice or contact my dealership to assist us with this issue.

I have not requested reimbursement for the 3 motors I have purchased and installed myself and I'm not insisting the many many other issues I'm having (vvt sensor failures, twice, has destroyed the motor mounts from hard shifting, the paint is coming off quicker than I can repaint it, the unrecalled portion of the steering shaft still rattling, the lock actuators that quit working, the steering wheel controls and sunroof switches that only work when they want to, just to list a few) be fixed free, but the EPS is a huge safety issue I believe Chevy should fix before they get hit with more lawsuits and more people get injured or killed by it.

I read on GM news that the 2009 and 2010 HHR columns, modules, motors, module harness or a combination of the four are being replaced to remedy the issue. Why is it limited to those two years?

I need help getting this fixed before an accident happens!

Thank you for listening and I hope someone connected to the brand can step up and offer some advice or back up.

Other than that we Love our FIJI and plan on keeping it for a very long time...

Last edited by Oldblue; 03-04-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: ease of reading.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 AM

I can't read the wall of words. Could you please insert some paragraphs and punctuation? Or, just state what the problem is.

All I got from a quick scan is that you are upset. I don't know the reason for your upset.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

I understand this is a rant post but I have a question.
Why did you replace the EPS motor 3 times if that wasn't the problem ?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM

Sorry about the wall of words, I'm usually pretty good at not doing that.

I wrote this up on my phone and it was hard to see while I was doing it, I will fix it.

The reason I replaced it 3 times is because the first two times the motor corrected the problem, just the last time it did not.
When I saw the recall and took it in, the dealership wanted to replace the motor again, even though I told him it was not the problem, so I let them.

I apologize as this was not meant to be a rant post. I just wanted all the info out so I could maybe get some help.

Thanks

Last edited by R CA HHR; 06-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM

I don't see a description of "the issue".

Has anyone thought to look at the loose fuse box halves thing?

How about the EPS wire off of the fuse box?

Has anyone jump started the car?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Sorry FIJI is not giving any indication why the Problem persists, I tend to think outside the box and would suggest as Don has to go back to basics and check the fuse box halves the wiring to grounds under the dash and under the hood.
I'm not close enough to help you out with this but I'm sure you're a competent mechanically minded guy with the skills to resolve this.
Getting angry doesn't get the problem resolved
Old 06-10-2015, 12:42 PM

I have checked the fuses and relays, nobody has jumped it in a very long time and it was already not working when it was jumped.

I've put an alternator in it a few years ago and a new battery a few months ago, none of which seemed to effect the EPS in any manner.

Thanks for the brains storm here.

It's over at Chevy right now and I'll report back with what is found.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Hey R CA HHR,

Sorry to see this issue has come up repeatedly. If you need any assistance with regard to working with the dealership, I would be happy to be of assistance. PM me with your contact info, VIN, mileage and the dealership you're working with if that's something I can do for you.

Hope to hear from you regarding this and we're looking forward to updates.

Regards,

Geoff G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks Geoff, I will be contacting you soon.

I picked up the car and it has four Body Control Module codes....
C0895 12. Voltage below threshold
C0895 03. " "
C0550 39. ECU internal electrical failure
C0475 00. Electric steering motor circuit

I am not familiar with BCM codes and the last two digits of those numbers were written very small after the code and could be a personal note or something as I haven't seen anything online describing their significance.
The descriptions are also his writting/words, I have not tracked them all to verify so forgive me if it's not exact.

I have purchased and have been sitting on (procrastinating) a motor/module/shafts from a 2010 cobalt. I plan on taking the easy route and just installing the module but still need to figure out if the car will start after its swapped. I suppose I can just put the old one back if it won't start afterwards. The chevy service manager said he was unsure if it will start, but it does need to be programmed to work for the steering.

Has anyone changed out the steering module in their HHR that can answer this question? I wouldn't think this is the first instance of this happening.

I'll definitely keep this post updated to help others in the future...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 AM

Those digits do mean something, to a computer. I think they're byte location or something.

The should start. The security chip is part of the ignition switch.

The angle sensor needs calibrating.

That sounds like the ECU needs replacing.
What's with the voltage? Battery?

FWIW; used ECU programmed to your VIN are available on eBay for around $100. Then you need to pay someone to relearn the crank sensor, any good shop could do that. You don't even need tools to replace the ECU.

Quick Reply: EPS issue and column rattle fixed