Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Faint squeaking noise when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Faint squeaking noise when engine is running

I've got a 2006 LT with the 2.4 and a 5 speed, (just under 60k on the clock) and it's recently started squeaking...it's not a belt, nor is it the radiator cooling fan, it sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine somewhere, anyone have any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site DaytonaBlueMetallic, I hope someone smart comes along to answer your question, cause I don't have a clue
Old 06-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Mice?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Does the squeak change with the RPM's of the engine? If so, it would be something that is related to the revolution of the engine or transmission.
If not, then a stationary part that is rubbing( broken air filter housing bracket comes to mind)
Other than that, could be just about anything. You need to narrow it down to find out.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Breadfan
Mice?
That's funny, reminds me of the airline mechanics log book.. Squeaking heard in ****pit, installed cat.

Omg, ****pit is a bad word.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM

I've ruled out any component that I can see. As far as I can tell, the squeaking sounds almost like a shot bearing because it sounds like a squeaky wheel on an old office chair. The sound doesn't seem to get louder when the RPM's rise, I really only notice it at idle. I'd heard that there's some type of fan that tends to start squeaking on a Cobalt, but I can't remember specifically which one it's supposd to be...possibly something on the AC? but even when the AC is off I hear it. That being said, I'm not sure if it's the same exact component as the Cobalt would have...so I'm flying blind. I researched the damn car for 6 months before buying it, but this little foible escaped my extensive research and inspection....

Last edited by DaytonaBlueMetallic; 06-18-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Post not fully finished.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Deceased

to the forum DaytonaBlueMetallic!

I'd place the serpentine belt tensioner high on the list of suspects, had one let go on my '06 and it started as a squeaking at idle, but when the rpms went up it disappeared. It did it for a few months before the tensioner locked up, then it howled like crazy.

Another thing to check from underneath is whether or not the noise is coming from the flex joint in the down pipe, they can squeak as the engine oscillates at idle.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM

I just picked up a new idler wheel, going to replace it as soon as I have time. We'll see if that fixes it, and if not, well, it's one thing I won't have to fix in the future
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Like firemangeorge said broken air filter housing bracket right where it bolts to exhaust manifold. Wife's and daughters both cracked there. noise at idle only.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic
I just picked up a new idler wheel, going to replace it as soon as I have time. We'll see if that fixes it, and if not, well, it's one thing I won't have to fix in the future
You could just use a "mechanics stethoscope" around $5 to pinpoint the squeaking. Up and replacing the tensioner may be more than you are bargaining for, not anywhere as easy as the "book" says.

Just noticed 2006 standard trans, anybody thought of throw-out bearing? I got an auto just spit-ballin'.

Quick Reply: Faint squeaking noise when engine is running