Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Faint squeaking noise when engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM

One other thing that could be the problem is worn top motor mount or the lower mounts. easy test is to squirt some silicone spray on them and see if it goes away. Cheap & easy to do.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 PM

The point seems to be: it could be any of at least 7 things, don't throw parts at noises. Also COULD be alternator bearing, A/C bearing, front main oil seal/bearing.... I got more. Use the cheap stethoscope to save yourself money!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

"it sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine somewhere, anyone have any thoughts?"
From the 1st post.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
"it sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine somewhere, anyone have any thoughts?"
From the 1st post.
Short answer "yes". But this is the InterWebThingy, and everybody is at least one (or has one).
Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You could just use a "mechanics stethoscope" around $5 to pinpoint the squeaking. Up and replacing the tensioner may be more than you are bargaining for, not anywhere as easy as the "book" says.

Just noticed 2006 standard trans, anybody thought of throw-out bearing? I got an auto just spit-ballin'.
I'm toying with the idea of taking it to my Chevrolet dealer just to have a factory certified team give the transmission, and clutch a thorough going over. I have an awesome private mechanic that I've trusted for 7 years, but I'm being really picky about this car.

As to the intake response, I'll look into that, because it did sound like it was coming from the back of the engine.

As far as replacing the idler pulley, I already know it's going to be a nightmare. That engine is shoehorned in there....LITTERALY, but I insist on fixing problems before they become too obvious.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
How are things going with the HHR? Please, keep in mind I am not a technician, but I had a GMC truck that mhad a squeak that seemed to be coming from the back of the engine. I found there was a chunk from the belt missing after a car wash. I realize you said you have checked the belts, but sometimes it can be hard to find little pieces missing.

I hope the replacement of the wheel will get this taken care of.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Michelle, I love my HHR, it's one of the most interesting looking cars I've ever come across, and so fun to fiddle around with and make my own, it's the one car that pulled me away from Ford products, and overall I'm very happy with it. It has it's unique idiosyncrasies, but as they come up, I'm slowly either fixing them, or upgrading them. I went into it knowing I was buying a 5 speed car with an engine that a layperson would immediately think "ooh, let's go racing" 2.4 Twin Cam always sounds meaty to the tuners... I took a gamble. seeing that the car only had 50,000 miles on it, and so far, no major horror stories. I think it says a lot that I bought the car in February '12 and in the next few days I will have put 10,000 miles on the car. Having had the car for just over 5 months, I'd say that's a testament to the build quality and reliability of this thing. I'm still learning what to look for. (widely publicized consumer reviews don't yield as much info as this sight has in the few days I've belonged to it.) The ultimate plan with the car, lovingly referred to as BEATBOX is taking it's first steps toward being a stealth custom, but before that happens, I want it to be back to showroom stock condition, or better.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
And in my experience a failing, noisy throw out bearing can be felt in the clutch pedal when you depress it. Not sure if the hydraulics in todays clutches would transmit that vibration or not.

I'm kind of in agreement with an idler pulley or the belt tensioner. Using a stethescope to pinpoint the source is a good idea. Of course all these long distance diagnostics are only guesses and suggestions.
I am noticing a "grinding" feeling in the clutch pedal just before it's fully depressed...don't know if that would have anything to do with a throwout bearing or not...I guess I should divulge that this is the first standard transmission car I've ever owned, so I have to admit I don't know exactly what to look for when it comes to failures/problems with clutches or standard gearboxes...I've always had Ford automatics 93' Mercury cougar, '01 Ford Taurus...except for one horrific (brief) foray into an automatic Dodge Spirit...could have pulled an Elvis and shot the damn thing. I'm good with engines, but transmissions are still a point of uncomfortability for me
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Deceased

That "grinding" feeling may be a clue to the problem, now the throwout bearing is at the head of the suspects list.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
That "grinding" feeling may be a clue to the problem, now the throwout bearing is at the head of the suspects list.
Any ideas on how much that would cost to replace?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 AM

The part is around $150 to $170, it looks like, and labor is going to be pretty significant. Make sure you need to do this before you get into it...

Quick Reply: Faint squeaking noise when engine is running