Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

feeling held back

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Question feeling held back

hey all, so i've tried looking up this topic in the forum, and maybe i'm not wording it right for a search, but i'm coming up empty.

i've got an '06 LS automatic.

when i let off the gas, my wagon feels like it's being held back, more than it should, almost like i'm downshifting a manual trans.
further, when i shift into neutral and coast (in open lots to see what's happening), the car doesn't seem to "glide" as other automatics i've owned,(I had an '87 Turismo) but rather feels like it's being slowed down.

is this a feature of newer transmissions, or could there be an issue with my tranny?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68
hey all, so i've tried looking up this topic in the forum, and maybe i'm not wording it right for a search, but i'm coming up empty.

i've got an '06 LS automatic.

when i let off the gas, my wagon feels like it's being held back, more than it should, almost like i'm downshifting a manual trans.
further, when i shift into neutral and coast (in open lots to see what's happening), the car doesn't seem to "glide" as other automatics i've owned,(I had an '87 Turismo) but rather feels like it's being slowed down.

is this a feature of newer transmissions, or could there be an issue with my tranny?
When you are in certain gears and coasting, fuel is cut off to get better mileage. It does act like an engine brake..neutral I can't help you with
Old 02-01-2014, 01:31 PM

I would check the basics first. Make sure you don't have a brake dragging. Like a bad front caliper or a parking brake that won't release properly.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Deceased

X2 with Lucky's suggestion, before you head to a shop or dig out your tools and jack, here's a simple test.

After a drive, get out are carefully touch each wheel noting the temperature of each, they'll be warm, but if one is "screaming hot", your problem lies there.

If it's on the front, a caliper that's frozen and "hanging up" AKA not fully releasing, or not moving freely on its slides.

In the rear it could be a brake that adjusted too tightly, or the adjuster has corroded enough to cause the shoes to jam up.

Another possibility is a failing hub, either front or rear that's gone beyond the noisy stage and into the point where its seizing up.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM

cool!
thanks guys for the suggestions/input.