Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

flopping sound upon starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:51 AM

flopping sound upon starting

to be honest i feel stupid making this post for not checking out this car better upon buying.i bought a 2008 HHR LT from a lot.funny thing now that i think about it but the salesman always had it running before i would get into it. so after paying for it and leaving the lot i stopped at a gas station 2 blocks away from the dealership to top it off.and when starting it back up i had a flopping sound that was coming from the motor area on the passenger side sound like it is right behind the glove compartment it last for around 20 seconds and then all is fine.but it has happened every time i have started it.
any help would be great.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM

First, What sort of warranty was posted on the window sticker? If it is "AS IS", you are SOL. If it is "Limited Warranty" go back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Second, is it actually from the Engine or might it be coming from the Circulating fan under the glove box?

Have somebody look at the serpentine belt. Turn the fan off before starting to see if that's it. Inspect the cabin air filter, there may be "stuff" stuck in there fluttering in the fan blades.

Kind of sounds like you have touched a car mechanically before. So, the best advice is to have somebody who has look at it. The internets is a horrible place to diagnose car noises.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 AM

first off thanks,betting this has something to do with it as it sounds like it is coming from under the box. i have also read up on the info about old belts and the tension springs,also something about this type noise when they have been left setting for periods of time,which this car had been sitting close to a year.i got 60k miles on it so it could be something to do with the belt tension.
do you know of a fix for the fan problem or a direction to point me in?

thanks again
Originally Posted by donbrew
First, What sort of warranty was posted on the window sticker? If it is "AS IS", you are SOL. If it is "Limited Warranty" go back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Second, is it actually from the Engine or might it be coming from the Circulating fan under the glove box?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM

Use the SEARCH box at he top of the page to find a digital copy of your Owner Manual. There are directions for changing the Cabin Air Filter. Many times a leaf from 4 years ago gets itself stuck under there, or the CAF has never been changed and has fallen apart.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM

got to say thanks the CAF took care of the problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Good!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 AM

what a horror story this has been so far, had 2 days sound started changed out cabin air filter and it stopped 2 days later some D-Bag kid with holes in his ears big enough to throw golfballs through. coming around the corner in a light dusting of snow slid into the side of it as it was parked outside of my house 6k+ worth of damage all body work except for bent axel and both rear wheels bent. i had to put the plates on it and was not even able to drive it. well the flopping sound started back up i tried to put it on the insurance claim and they refused to fix it. along with the shop that fixed it putting a door dent in the side that was not involved in the accident and the bodyshop manager had enough ass to stand in front of me and try and tell me a bold face lie that it was there when he got the car it was a good thing that the adjuster had put in his report that the only other damage he could find on the car was a rusty tail pipe. so i had to get away from the guy before i grabbed him up by his throat and smack the crap out of him and went home and took care of it via phone. and all worked out fine so they are now going to fix it and even give me a loaner. looks like an admission of guilt to me.lol

now back to the flopping sound through that dealer and a couple of other sources i find out the sound is coming from an part that opens and closes the door to allow the air into the cabin so i ask a price it is a $68 part and $980 labor bill citing that the whole dash board has to come out to fix it, well i have had to have dash boards come out of cars in the past and they never go back in right and always seemed to create rattles and such. so what im wondering is has anyone faced this problem and is there a eaiser way to get access to this part by removing the glove box and what i am thinking is there should be a way to get to this trough the plastic housing around this ares as the sound, sounds like it is coming from the glove box so it has to be close. i have been working and building custom bikes for years and we always found ways to get into places easier then the dealer wrenches can. im thinking if i could get some kind of pics of this area and the position of the part i may be able to dremel tool with cutting wheel to cut a hole in the housing and get to the part anyone got any ideas?

only good thing i can say so far is im 55 and disabled and i use a power chair for when i have to walk a long way. so i told my lift people i needed
a new lift and i wanted one that did not look like crap on the back and would put the chair inside instead well the lift is a gem it hooks into a hitch recev,and sticks out 6" and is a 2"x 4' long square steel piece that runs a few inches below the bumper has a hole in the end for a mast that i pull out of the car put in place plug in to a connection on the hitch and lower and raise the chair into the back and remove and it goes in the back. and im real happy with it. the reason i bought the HHR was i was tired of being the ol man in the mini van due to my disibality. i spent a long time looking for something with a little cool factor other then a van/suv that would work and the HHR fit the bill perfect. so im hoping all works out with this car.

TIA
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Administrator

I'd save the G-note and just live with the noise until I figured out how to swap out the part!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:48 AM

you got that right oldblue as i have found it does not affect the way the motor runs and everything else is solid. i was thinking it was explained that these where nylon gears and they are wearing out. just hoping when they do it quits when the door is open or it may mess up the AC or heater
Originally Posted by Oldblue
I'd save the G-note and just live with the noise until I figured out how to swap out the part!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM

I am just old with a bad back and hip, I am not sure I'd be up to the job. I don't think you actually have to take the dashboard out, but the front seats and a lot of awkward bending etc.