Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front-end clunk/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
This happens when turning the wheel to lock?

Then: the plastic stops on the sway bar, on the inner side of the bushings, may have moved or disappeared. And/Or, the end links are the 12 inch variety and they are banging into the LCA.
End links are the correct ones, 10".
Could you show a picture of the plastic stops?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It could be your upper engine mount, or steering rack input shaft, a tie rod or front bumper cover
Engine mount is a TTR
Steering rack has no play. Would like to see a picture of that possible problem area.
Tie rods are tight
Front bumper cover. Where does it loosen and why a clunking noise?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Cat Man. The SS bumper covers are mounted loose at the factory. Just the crappy design of how they attach. Go out and grab either bumper cover and pull up on them. You'll see( and hear) what I'm talking about. It will create a "thump" noise when hitting bumps just right.
When I had my front cover off years ago, I put some white foam weatherstrips between the metal bumper and the gray foam absorber. Also wedged some extra foam pieces up in there after reinstalling the cover. And replaced the push pins at the wheelwell attachments with nut/screws.
It quieted most of the noise.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 AM

No pix, the stops are just plastic rings about 1 inch wide fit by friction.

You can almost see them in this pic:
Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Administrator

The input shaft attaches to the intermediate shaft, another possible clunk

https://goo.gl/images/WQeibF
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Cat Man. The SS bumper covers are mounted loose at the factory. Just the crappy design of how they attach. Go out and grab either bumper cover and pull up on them. You'll see( and hear) what I'm talking about.
Thanks George I'll go look.
My real name is Richie also.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The input shaft attaches to the intermediate shaft, another possible clunk
The clunk, which is mild is from the right side only. The shaft is on the left side and there is no feeling in the wheel when it happens.
Thanks for the idea Blue.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Administrator

I found it to be a game of cat and mouse, a six year hunt for the clunks and rattles, I could only afford to fix one thing at a time.
A clunk , right hand side? Sounds possibly a loose mounting bolt for
A the swaybar end link, the nuts do loosen up.
B the rear LCA bushing bolt not torqued correctly , 74 ft/lbs then 180 degrees. Check them after 3,000 miles.
C the transmission mounts, there are three of them , check torque in the bolts first , just in case one or two rattled loose.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:20 AM

Did you ever get this figured out? On mine it was the steering column lower end,.

Originally Posted by thegodfather
Lower steering shaft, front wheel bearing was replaced, struts & the end links & bushings were checked/examined. But That Does Seem to be the General Conscensis of what the trouble comes from. Alot went & had that and more work done without Any success of eliminating that, what has come to be the mysterious 'Curse of the HHR' (front-end noise & dash rattle) in the high percentage of HHRs. But it Does seem to be More to the Earlier Models, such as my 2006, at least from what I understand. If I Cannot find the Exact culprit to this particular tormenting knocking/thumpng/ratteling/or Which-ever it tends to be at any given time, then I will Forced to Start Over from the underneath front-end, to the tearing apart the Entire dash to Find this. I will Not Rest Until It Does! The dealer did say he is going to check & re-balance the front tires as They Are Dumbfounded as to where else it could be coming from. (I Don't Want to say they are just Dumb, Not quite Yet anyway.) That will be on Wednesday morning since our schedules are booked on Monday & Tuesday. I Will Keep Up-To-Date Posts as to the Progress, or lack of, as I get More into the mechanics of this.
B.T.W. Did Anyone's ever:
1. Shimmy at highway speeds?
2. Just 'Come & Go', Almost at It's Will? (Sometime Does & Sometimes Don't)
3. Seem to be when the temperature is lower?
4. DISSAPPEAR when You Have Someone Else Listen for them? (almost 'taunting' you)
5. Sounds Mysteriously 'Move' Everytime you hear it one spot, but then you listen in that spot, then hear it in another?
6. Have different people say, 'By those descriptions, it could be Anything', when You Know that If there is a noise, then There Has to be Something Causing It!?
7. Just want to say 'It isn't worth the time, money, & aggravation to keep messing with something that is 'Harmless'?
I was just wondering if & what you done, & If Everything You tried Done Nothing except Drain your wallet & time, Did You Just Say 'It Isn't Worth the aggrevation' or just 'Keep at it'?
I APPRECIATE ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET ALONG WITH YOUR COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS (that have not been Already offered.) WHILE I TRY TO SOLVE THIS MYSTERY-OF-MISERY, as Some Would Put it.
Once Again, Thanks for being here for me guys when I have questions! You Are All Better than Any 'Do-it-yourself' handbooks, or 'How-To' Manuals! You Have Experience, & That My friends Is Better than Any speculative assumptions, just try this, or anything else that No one who Hasn't 'Been There & Done That' Could Offer!
Did you ever figure this out?
Old 12-25-2018, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Emedina

Did you ever figure this out?
Welcome to the site.
Doubt you'll get a response from his post that's 8 years old. Plus, he hasn't logged on here in almost 5 years.

Quick Reply: front-end clunk/rattle