Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front licence plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by WHITEHHR1
does anyone else notice the back licence plate rattles and slides around
it only has two bolts on top not on bottom
That Happend with mine and the first thing I did was put foam tape behind the plate and it stoped.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 PM

I agree with Sindy. I told them to NOT not put that bracket on my car. I will put it on only IF I get the fix-it ticket. Just my
Old 06-22-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by WHITEHHR1
does anyone else notice the back licence plate rattles and slides around
it only has two bolts on top not on bottom
Much of the time the rattling is caused by the plate and frame hitting each other. I used double-sided tape to affix the bottom of the plate to the back of the frame and it cured the problem completely. For folks who don't like the empty bolt holes, here's another solution:

Pick up a set of License Plate Mounting Bolts (a couple of bucks at Pep Boys or Auto Zone), and install them in the lower holes. Next put a small rubber vacuum fitting plug over the exposed bolt threads. This will cause the plug to press firmly against the body - while preventing the bolt threads from doing any damage. Firmly mounted plate = no rattle!

Hope it helps,

Last edited by SoCalHHR; 06-22-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Much of the time the rattling is caused by the plate and frame hitting each other. I used double-sided tape to affix the bottom of the plate to the back of the frame and it cured the problem completely. For folks who don't like the empty bolt holes, here's another solution:

Pick up a set of License Plate Mounting Bolts (a couple of bucks at Pep Boys or Auto Zone), and install them in the lower holes. Next put a small rubber vacuum fitting plug over the exposed bolt threads. This will cause the plug to press firmly against the body - while preventing the bolt threads from doing any damage. Firmly mounted plate = no rattle!

Hope it helps,
This would be ideal if all license plate frames had bottom holes! My wife got me an awesome custom-made frame that had top holes only. Like others on this forum, I, too, used some weatherstripping to solve the problem - no more rattling!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:30 AM

I got Dynamat for license plates. A large piece goes on the plate and strips on the frame. It is solid now.