Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

gallons of water in my HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Founding Member

During HEAVY rain storms the drains in sunroofs can be overpowered by the volume of water trying to exit through them. Normally whichever corner of the sunroof is at the lowest point will be the one overpowered. You can slowly poor water into the corners to make sure they are draining and there is no blockage.

Since you are out of warranty, I can email you the water leak bulletin which will detail all areas that are suspect when a leak occurs. Send your email to me in PM.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-09-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added an s
Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
During HEAVY rain storms the drains in sunroofs can be overpowered by the volume of water trying to exit through them. Normally whichever corner of the sunroof is at the lowest point will be the one overpowered.
That's what I've noticed twice, both times front passenger floor board quite wet. Both times it occured the front passenger side was the lowest. For now I just make sure the rear sits lower when expecting any heavy rainfall.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Since you are out of warranty, I can email you the water leak bulletin which will detail all areas that are suspect when a leak occur. Send your email to me in PM.
Dory just rolled over 36K and I'd sure like a copy of this.
(PM sent)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:53 AM

I park on an incline so my back is lower. The only thing wet is the seatbelts, luckily not my carpet.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 AM

According to my dealer, I have a "major leak." They're going to take the interior apart, dry the carpet in a body shop drying booth, inspect all the systems, etc. and seal "all the leaks." But unfortunately, they're telling me that GM wants 1/3 participation from the customer...$300. Is this SOP?

I have no problem with my dealer; they're helping me out here. But if GM is requiring $300 for a repair they're seemingly admitting to be necessary due to build problems, then I don't think I should be shelling out $300.

Last edited by ccsubruce; 09-12-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more information
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM

Forking out 300 for that seems nuts. Its an 07, its still under warranty...right? I should think you wouldnt have to pay anything.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 PM

Luckily I haven't run into this issue yet with my 2008 HHR SS which also has a sunroof. Is part of the problem that the seal around the sunroof itself doesn't properly seal to keep the water out in the first place. If so, is the sunroof adjustable?

I originally had hoped to find an SS without the sunroof so I wouldn't have to worry about leaks and also get the extra headroom. Now that I have it I do like the sunroof but still am a bit concerned about future problems with leaks.

Hope you get your issue resolved soon.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by stacyshhr
Forking out 300 for that seems nuts. Its an 07, its still under warranty...right? I should think you wouldnt have to pay anything.
He is out of warranty by mileage.

What has happened is the dealer is agreeing to give "Goodwill" to him and his cost is $300 of that repair. This is available to anyone who is out of warranty if they ask for it. The service manager made this offer not Chevrolet. Since we don't know what the cost to Chevrolet is for this repair, there is no way to tell what percentage he is paying. Whatever the cost to Chevrolet is, it will be less then retail pricing, that he would of paid if "Goodwill" hadn't been offered.

Each request is looked at on an individual basis. All sorts of things can be factored into the decision. Some times the customer pays nothing other times it may be a 50/50 split still others may be the customer pays the labor and the customer pays the part and some requests may be denied completely. It is a tool for customer satisfaction that Chevrolet gives the dealers and a way of keeping a customer loyal to GM.

So what his dealer is saying is that GM would have to pay $900.00 to fix since they are having him pay $300. hmmmmm.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 09-12-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: re-read orginal post as to what % he was paying
Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Gotcha. That makes sense then. I guess its lucky they will pay anything w/ it being out of warranty.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by ccsubruce
etc. and seal "all the leaks."
Jeezus, how many different places is it leaking? (!)
Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Shouldn't really happen in the first place

Had a sunroof on my 91 Celica that didn't leak a drop in 11 years and that thing went through 1 or 2 Hurricanes

I saw this was an issue before the HHR purchase so steered clear

Goose

Quick Reply: gallons of water in my HHR