Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

gallons of water in my HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the information. The dealer claims it's GM who's ponying up here...guess it's just them trying to save face or something?

However, if this is a build quality issue, as the dealer admitted to me on the phone, why isn't GM covering it completely? I guess I'm just trying to see how my logic fails here. Since it was certified used by GM, I'm not that far out of warranty (2K).
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Haven't had the chance to post an update regarding this issue. Received the vehicle from my local dealer on 9/16. Car is supposedly fixed properly and should present no leaks. I guess the next terrible rainstorm would tell me if that's true.

Be that as it may, I did have a conversation with the Chevy 800 number, telling them how dissatisfied I am with the policy. My point is that I purchased a certified used vehicle that seemingly wasn't certified very well. While my car runs great, knowing that the head liner recall (the energy absorption problem when the car rolls over) wasn't done before the car was picked up, combined with the fact that the car showed a horrible leak tells me someone didn't do a good job of certifying the car.

I'm supposed to be receiving a phone call from someone regarding the issue next week. While I have no problem with my local dealer, I do think I'm the victim of some shoddy work...and that compensation is due me for this leak. Possibly I'm off base here, and I respectfully understand that someone will pose another side to the issue, but I'm dismayed by the whole thing.

Incidentally, a participant in this thread asked me "how many leaks" the car had. The dealer kept using the plural, but I never got crystal clear answers regarding the number.

We'll see what happens...
Old 09-20-2008, 03:19 PM

I agree with you ccsubruce, although since it is a pre-owned I do think GM's liability is limited. You are correct to be questioning the quality of the Certified status the car carried for the purpose of selling it at a higher price (certified status is worth a little more in the pre-owned market).
Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

ccsubruce....

You do raise a very interesting point.

We all want to recognize a "certified" vehicle as a thoroughly checked and repaired vehicle and may pay for that advantage. But what does a DEALER really do to provide that certified rating.

Even if it's a stated 150 point check, is it done with earnest or cursory intent, is the "inspection" done by real technicians or yard kids, how much time and effort is acceptable for the inspection, IS A VIN review done through the GM/Dealer network to determine previous complaints and repairs, how about a Carfax.

I can't help but feel in your situation, the dealer was a little negligent in the certification. I would bet this vehicle had history, that was available to the dealer, and overlooked.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM

I can tell you the car came from Georgia as a former lease vehicle. CarFax was clean; I saw it. Never an accident reported at all.

Otherwise, we'll see what GM says next week.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:34 PM

Snoopy may have been referring to a claim history on the GM Warranty network.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Snoopy may have been referring to a claim history on the GM Warranty network.

That's correct LR....and if the dealer will admit, truthfully, or give you a hard copy print out of the dealer service history.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Hey all, I too had this problem with mine. It was on the passenger side. Two weekends in a row we had a good steady rain and both times the floor was soaked. Someone on here has a thread about the rubber mat under the wiper cowl. I checked mine and it was the leak spot. Super easy to fix too. Pull the wipers, four bolts that hold down the cowl and two little plugs by the window, then pull the wire ties that hold onto the cowl and remove. The windshield squirter hose is attached under it too. On the passenger side you'll see the rubber mat, pull it off. Most of the sealer stayed attached to my mat and was able to be pulled off. It was a little time consuming and sticky, but it came off. If you look into the hole left you should be able to see your cabin air filter. Clean the mat and the paint area around the hole and reseal. I found out on mine that one of the bolts screw in right in front of the mat. There was never any sealant put there to keep the water out. A little would just run off, but major amount could puddle and find the hole. I just sealed it up good to. Then just reinstall everything.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Founding Member

If the rubber mat (aka butyl patch) wont come clean or is damaged you can get a replacement from a dealer.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 AM

I did receive a phone call from the GM service rep. He actually told me that the leak was the result of 41K of road wear! Honest to goodness, he hold me that leaks such as this can happen on cars! I asked him why I've seen scores of GM products with 3x the miles and no leaks such as this and he refused to answer. I then asked him if he was telling me if this was a normal problem with cars of similar age--he replied that it "was in an acceptable range." My interaction with this fellow indicated to me that even as polite as I was to him, GM doesn't care about the problem. He really didn't care that the car was certified (said that makes no difference to GM at all) and that the car was allowed to be certified without a major recall being done.

Oh well, at least I know where I stand to GM. It would seem I'm just some jerk that bought a car with a leak. Tough luck, pal.

And he also insinuated that the dealer doesn't want me back in the shop. Apparently he smells trouble with me. I wish I knew what I did to warrant that! I think I've treated those folks just fine--in fact, they've been extraordinarily nice to me, even though I didn't buy the car there!

Wow...guess it'll finally be on to Japanese cars for me in the next go round. My wife needs a car, too...

Quick Reply: gallons of water in my HHR