Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Go to start and eps fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 10:39 PM

Go to start and eps fuse keeps blowing

Hello,

I just picked up this for a great price. My issue is that sometimes when going to start the car the electronic power steering yellow 60am fuse will blow the dash goes completely dark and vehicle has no power to dash, and has a no crank no start condition.

You can replace the fuse and some times it will start just fine, and then some times it will continue to keep blowing the eps fuse.

I’ve looked at wiring diagrams and I see that the eps gets ignition power through the BCM, and I see the electric power steering control module has a ground bear the base of the driver strut tower.

Being this condition only seems to happen when trying to start it, it makes it hard to diagnose. My current thoughts are possibly the electronic power steering motor or module could potentially have high resistance or an intermittent short, or possibly there is a issue with the wiring, or possibly a issue with the BCM. Of course this is speculation.

I have also found none of the door lock switches with actuate any of the door locks except the rear hatch.

not sure if any of this is related, which I would assume if it was then it would point to the BCM, but even when the car is running the door locks still don’t work, the rear doors will not lock even manually. I’ve read there is a relay for locking and unlocking,

Has anyone had these issues? If so what did you find to be the problem?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome, have a look at your under hood fuse block

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...rmation-59520/

seems a lot of 2008’s having problems lately
Old 10-13-2021, 08:20 AM

Do you know about the extended warranty on the EPS?
The EPS control module gets power from the BCM BUT, the motor gets it's power from the underhood fuse box.
Are you talking about fuse #1 in the underhood fuse box or the fuse next to the battery?

THIS IS NOT A BCM PROBLEM.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:11 PM

The eps 60amp yellow fuse keeps blowing and the dash shuts off and the car will not start. I actually am replacing the fuse box, but... yes there is a active recall on the eps motor. Rather than wait I ordered one from the dealer going to switch out the fuse box and eps motor this weekend. Found in the diagram that the eps is on the same circuit as the BCM with would explain why dash goes out. I’ll updated everyone after.

Last edited by Hhrrob; 10-13-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:23 PM

If the doors won't lock manually it is not a relay problem The latches are bad, they have the actuators in them.
I would look at the wiring on the outside of the fuse box. The rear most lug should have 1 wire to the EPS motor. The front should have 2 wires 1 from the battery and the other to the starter. There is no ground wire.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:47 PM

There is actually a ground wire. It’s mounted at the base of the strut tower. The diagram above even shows this.

I appreciate the responses, I was hoping to get some possible new ideas, but that’s ok. I’ll let everyone know this weekend if the fuse box and eps motor resolves it.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:02 PM

ON the fuse box. I say that because many people think the fuse box is a battery and hook a ground cable to the EPS stud. It sounds to me like the starter motor is or solenoid is is shorting to the EPS.
OR, if a ground wire was connected to the EPS stud it would only sdhort out when the key is turned on.
OR, if some genius played with other wires, like the silly ground to the TCM thing.