Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Good Ole Power Steering Message Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 PM

Good Ole Power Steering Message Again

Hi Everyone,
I know the power steering message on the DIC has been talked about a ton but I have a specific question for anyone who knows about it/has experienced it.

The question: Could the power steering message on the DIC be from a faulty/failing power steering motor if it is not storing a code but does trigger the chimes?

The history (hopefully quick): I've had this car about 4.5 years, it's a 2006 LS, 2.2L with 139k. I've had similar instances of the power steering issue about 3 times over the past 4.5 years. The first time it happened was in early '17, the car would slam into gear when it shifted but struggled to go above 20-25mph and caused the needles on the gauge cluster to bounce all over the place. Back then it stored code P0742 but no CEL. At that time, restarting the car cleared the harsh shifting and everything else that was happening as a result. I eventually cleared the code and didn't have an issue until April of 2018. In '17 I took the advice of many members here and had the battery tested, fuse box under the hood checked (it was tight), grounds checked and battery connections, everything was good (I had a local mechanic go over everything also, he also looked for chaffed wires and found nothing).

As I mentioned the power steering message came back a little more than a year later this time with no code stored and again with no CEL. It performed similarly with the rough shifts, and it would bang from drive to reverse if I attempted to back up. Restarted the car and everything was good again.

Fast forward to yesterday, January 2nd, and after driving about 6 miles the chimes in the car sounded, but no visual indicator of anything wrong. The car was driving normally. I parked it for about an hour, drove home for about 4 miles and as I slowed down in front of my house and slightly turned the steering wheel the power steering message showed on the DIC and the speedometer jumped from 10 to 20mph and back down even though I was moving around 5mph and coming to a stop. Put the car in reverse to back into my driveway and it slammed into gear as it had done the year before. Checked for codes and nothing was stored. I drove the car about 20 minutes later for about 10 miles with no issue.

Today, it happened again, drove car in the morning about 8 miles with no problem. Parked for 5.5 hours, went about a quarter of a mile in the afternoon and as I came out of a turn the power steering message displayed on the DIC again this time at the same time as the chimes sounded. And I did lose power steering this time unlike yesterday when I did not. Also, the car was struggling to shift out of 1st gear. I pulled over, restarted the car and drove it without issue. Checked again for codes when I got home and nothing is stored.

The thing that has me concerned is that although similar issues have happened before, it's always been a good 8 months or over a year between power steering messages but this time it's back to back days. I do wonder if it is the motor starting to fail, but I don't know if it would cause the slamming into gear as well if it would not store a code.

Some other info: Same battery is in the car, it's 4.5 years old, alternator was replaced in late '17

I did receive the letter a while back about the power steering motor being covered for this car, but I don't want to go to the dealer yet with any chance for them to place blame on something else and hit me with a huge bill. I have my local mechanic for that!! Just joking, but as I mentioned he didn't see anything that might be causing this when he checked over everything.

Any info is appreciated, I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have that I didn't cover. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:34 PM
Technical Moderator

P0742 means that the torque converter clutch was stuck on for some reason. Transmission codes don't always show up with a "consumer" scanner.

The EPS motor is covered by the extended warranty. (that was a period)
The codes that may be involved are for the steering angle sensor, a different but related warranty.

The trans and the EPS are not related, you need a trans shop to look at it.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:19 PM

Does it add up that the only time I have shifting issues is when the power steering message is on the DIC? That’s why I wasn’t thinking it was the actual transmission having the issue. It’s like whatever is triggering the power steering message messes with the shifting but as soon as the power steering message clears the shifting is smooth again.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by fdv101
It’s like whatever is triggering the power steering message messes with the shifting but as soon as the power steering message clears the shifting is smooth again.
Here is a video of a person with a cobalt that had the same type of symptoms as you. All he did was run an external ground from Transmission Control Module (TCM) to a good known ground. He updated his video 2 years later and the problem never returned.

I also found this, page two line #18. Talks about finding fuse 25 with slightly burnt ends on fuse and checking the wiring connectors on the ECM.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pr...ion-tcm-2.html
There is talk on this forum page to check and clean ground connections G103 and G105.

https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/pr...ion-tcm-2.html

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 01-04-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 AM

Also found this on ground numbers and location. It's for Cobalt but I would think it should be the same for the HHR.
Coby7
Super Moderator

Garage
G101---In the left side of the engine compartment under the coolant reservoir
G102---Left front of the engine compartment on the cross bar at the washer reservoir fill cap
G103---Left front of the engine compartment under the left headlamp on the frame rail
G105---On the lower left front of the transmission case
G109 ---In the rear of the engine compartment on the left strut tower at the base of the hood support
G111 ---At the front of the engine compartment, attached to the front of the engine block, directly behind the cooling fan
G201---Behind the left side of the I/P to the right of the steering column
G203---Behind the right side of the I/P in back of the I/P compartment
G207---Behind the right side of the I/P in back of the I/P compartment
G301--- Left front side of the vehicle, under the driver seat
G306 ---Under the center console near the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)
G401---Center of the rear shelf, near the speaker LR
G402--- (Coupe)---Under the rear shelf near the speaker LR
G402 ---(Sedan)---Center of the rear shelf near the speaker RR
G403---In the rear compartment of the vehicle near the battery
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't know why the additional ground wire helps, except that the OE ground looks to be corroded; that is the bolt on the radiator support (G101 ignore the washer reservoir) that wire goes to the top of the transmission (G107) where several other things join in.

Also might take the TCM connector off and make sure that pin #49 is clean and not pushed out.

BTW, HHR ground points are listed in the how-to area as a sticky, shouldn't be hard to find. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew

BTW, HHR ground points are listed in the how-to area as a sticky, shouldn't be hard to find. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Thanks I didn't even know you had posted ground locations.