Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 AM

I'm still running the stock's in mine. My wifes is still running the same silverstars since 2005. If you get anything on bulbs while installing, you will shorten it's life, and that's all of the capsule type.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Check out www.bulbs.com

They have most everything.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 PM

I have 2009 HHR and I recently had the driver's side headlight changed and less than a week later it's out again. What do you believe is to be the problem?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Poor quality control.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Big Slimm
I have 2009 HHR and I recently had the driver's side headlight changed and less than a week later it's out again. What do you believe is to be the problem?
Hi Big Slimm,

Did you purchase the headlight from the dealership or have them perform the installation? If so, any replacement parts should be warranted for 12 months. Sorry that you're having repeat issues with your headlights. If there's anything we can do to help with this issue, please send us a private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Big Slimm
Remember that you can't touch the glass part of the bulb with a bare hand. Oils from your skin can cause the bulb to fail. Other contaminates left on the glass can cause failure also.

Best to wear rubber gloves when installing and as an extra measure, clean the new bulb with an alcohol wipe prior to the installation.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Headlight bulbs burn out fast

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hi Big Slimm,

Did you purchase the headlight from the dealership or have them perform the installation? If so, any replacement parts should be warranted for 12 months. Sorry that you're having repeat issues with your headlights. If there's anything we can do to help with this issue, please send us a private message.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I have had to install 3 quality bulbs due to headlight bulb burn out within the last 2 years. Always the driver side bulbs. Usually the low beam, once low beam and within 24 hours the high beam on the dead lowbeam also died, today seems be the highbeam (4th bulb burnout) yet original passenger bulb works fine.
I check my headlights several times a week due to night driver.
Not oil from hands, not moisture in light, not corrosion in socket, not fuse or loose wire.
Had dealer check electrical system after 2nd bulb out - no problem they could find.
Dealer replaced 1 bulb, I replaced next 2, car shop replaced last 1 less than 4 months ago.
Anyone know why? Is overvoltage or over amperage possible in 1 side of headlights?
Sitting in Dealer now to have them check and replace it soon as they open this Saturday morning.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:34 AM

Philips makes the original bulbs . Usually not available at AZ or AA usually at a NAPA
parts store . They defiantly last longer than other brands . And YES don't touch bulb
but just in case clean them with alcohol before inserting .Their a little more expensive
than the rest but the beam is wide spread
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM

The brighter rating the shorter life. Cheaper bulbs last longer. Life ratings are on the packaging in most cases.

I got a $4 class action check from Sylvania a few months ago due to their fraudulent life claims.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Hummm,... I had to replace the light on the drivers side of my HHR one cold icky day. I just bought whatever walmart had handy and stuck it in the car.

That was at least 5 years ago. As far as I know the one on the passengers side is still an original bulb.

I have always wondered why some folks have so many problems keeping headlight bulbs in their buggy's when I rarely ever have one fail.

Quick Reply: Headlight problems