Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help needed for Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Help needed for Vibrations

Ok folks, I need some help with diagnosis. From 55-65ish mph, I'm getting a steering wheel/seat vibration. Just had new tires put on it Friday. Was doing the same before the tires. Seemed to go away for a bit, but is now as bad as it was before.

Things I know:
-car has been aligned recently, was also done when I put the shocks and SS Balt springs on it
-new tires were Road Force balanced
-replaced passenger front hub assembly when wifey curbed it (along with wheel)

This is making me absolutely insane. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ammo for me to shoot at it?

Here are some guesses I have (complete speculation):
-tie rod ends? One of my SHO's would vibrate at a specific speed, turned out to be tie rod end
-axle/drive shaft? could the curb job have bent a shaft?
-couldn't imagine that it'd be rotors/drums since it is at a specific speed and not all the time, but I'm not ruling anything out.
-bent wheel(s)? I would imagine that my mechanic woulda seen it when he put the tires on?
-bad tire? brand new Eagle GT's, maybe I got a bad one?
-I can't seem to tell which side/end it's coming from, but it's shaking the steering wheel and the posterior

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Recent alignment would have shown a bad tie rod... can't align with a bad part.

You replaced the right hub, check the left hub and have that right (passenger side) axle checked too. Also have the tire place check balance, you may have thrown a weight.... they should check this for free, you just had it done.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

I'll have them checked...thanks for the suggestions. I just want my smooth ride back
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM

how about a bent wheel when the wheel bearing was damaged? you can also check the drive line by taking it out of gear at speed of the vib. and see if it changes.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 PM

1. That happens when you make a turn, and its more noticeable on any side?
2. You feel vibrations or a shaking steering wheel, like you canīt control this?

Donīt make the same mistake that I did. I had the same issue when I turned to the left, and I replaced the Driver side hub bearing, and this didnīt work. I changed tie rods, sway bar links, driverīs axle etc etc etc... no results. I tested the passenger side hub bearing spinning it and I didnīt hear stranges noises...but, I was really frustrated about this. Then, I removed the Passenger hub bearing, and guess what? this was the cause!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Have you had the tires rebalanced?
The rims I put on my HHR require the use of hidden "tape" weights.
I have had to take it back more than once because one of those stupid weights feel off due to improper installation.
Only thing I can come up with right now.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

You can jack up one side at a time & in neutral, spin the tire & check for run-out, or a tire buldge.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:03 AM
geg

It started after replacing the tires?
Conclusion - Problem in the tires!
1. Poorly balanced tires.
2. in the process replaced the tire Unskillful repairmen damaged your wheel. curved

3. At the wheel stuck a piece of **** (like tar, it They are used for road repairs). If he is stuck in an inaccessible place - it's hard to find.
The third reason - unlikely. But I had this trouble once before.

To make sure that the problem in the tires. Put the other wheels instead of their own. You can use a winter set of wheels when it is ready for operation. If there is no winter set - Refer to a friend (neighbor, colleague), which has a similar wheel. After replacement - test drive. Vibration disappeared - Problem in the wheels. Vibration has not disappeared - look problemma in bearings (rotors, etc.).
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Lucky- the wheel that was damaged was replaced, along with the hub. Will check it at speed in neutral.
Zag- no issues when turning, only at highway speeds, very controllable, just exceptionally irritating.
Tigger- it's going back in on Saturday...also has tape weights and I'm thinking this might be the issue (hoping)
Sleeper- i'm going to have the mechanic take a look over everything when he's got it in on Saturday. I'm hoping its not the other hub, but at least it will be an easy fix.
Geg- it was happening before the new tires. Seemed to go mostly away and has since come back

Thanks for all of the suggestions gents. Keep them coming and I'll keep you all posted after inspection on Saturday.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Deceased

Just a thought here, check out the right rear, I know that it was curbed on the front corner, but maybe the rear made some contact too. You just might have a bent rim back there, or a failing rear hub.

Quick Reply: Help needed for Vibrations