Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Help please

I was recently gifted a 2009 HHR LT 2.4L. While on the way to work Friday, the car suddenly began to shutter then the DIC stated, "Reduced Engine Power", "Service ESC/Traction", "Service Airbag", "Service Power Steering", "Low Fuel", and "Engine Disabled". I was able to pull over. I immediately shut the car off and attempted to restart. No crank, no start. DIC displayed "service power steering", "service ESC/traction", "Service Airbag". Called the tow truck and got it sent home. Started researching and then bought a new battery. Still no start and no crank. I decided to check fuses. All were fine. I did notice that the Fuel Pump Relay fuse will rapidly click and will go away when unplugged. The BCM fuses appear fine as well. I plugged my reader and the only code that comes up is U0100. I am struggling on what to do or where to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the problem is explained,here

https://www.obd-codes.com/u0100

loose ground or connections, fuse box halves
Old 05-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Technical Moderator

U0100 means that B+ is open. First thing is to check where the large red wire attaches to the underhood fuse box. Then check the ground point on the top of the trans near the oil filter and on the radiator support above the driver side headlight.

If you can find any past info it would be helpful.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, the problem is explained,here

https://www.obd-codes.com/u0100

loose ground or connections, fuse box halves
I will definitely try to check the grounds and the fuse box tomorrow. The box itself seems tight but I've had the same issue with my wife's 07 Outlook.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
U0100 means that B+ is open. First thing is to check where the large red wire attaches to the underhood fuse box. Then check the ground point on the top of the trans near the oil filter and on the radiator support above the driver side headlight.

If you can find any past info it would be helpful.
So does that mean the issue could be that the ground wire has possibly shorted? I did check the rear red wire that connects to the fuse box and it's tight. I looked on the internet and this HHR has been through all the past recalls (0 open recalls). I just sucks that this happened within weeks of getting the car. Thanks for the lead!
Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Technical Moderator

The rear red connector is the power steering, the LARGE red is the main battery connection. It sometimes corrodes or gets loose.

There might be a bad pin on the ECM connectors, sometimes one or more get pusshed out the back of the connector.

If you had the same issue in another car, what was the cause/fix? Did the same person work on both cars before it happened?

This youtube illustrates how to take the fuse apart and inspect the internal bits.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:59 PM

The rear red connector is the power steering, the LARGE red is the main battery connection. It sometimes corrodes or gets loose.

There might be a bad pin on the ECM connectors, sometimes one or more get pusshed out the back of the connector.

If you had the same issue in another car, what was the cause/fix? Did the same person work on both cars before it happened?

This youtube illustrates how to take the fuse apart and inspect the internal bits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKtP4Jvdr28&t=47s
That whole set of issues with my wife's Outlook was due to the previous owner stripping the screws on the fuse panel and Jerry rigging bolts backwards so that they could tighten it up.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 PM
Technical Moderator

That is what the youtube is about.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:39 PM

That is what the youtube is about.
So I am looking at the car now and the under hood fuse panel is tight and the two battery cables that connect together are tight as well.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Looking at them will do no good - you have to take the fuse panel apart as noted already and reseat it as per the instructions. The battery cables should be disconnected and checked for corrosion and cleaned up.

Quick Reply: Help please