Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Looking at them will do no good - you have to take the fuse panel apart as noted already and reseat it as per the instructions. The battery cables should be disconnected and checked for corrosion and cleaned up.
So I took the fuse panel off and the two black modules underneath were stuck to the back of the fuse panel. The two screws that held thise down came out so I ran them back through and pushed the modules back out. There don't appear to be any scorched areas on the back of the panel or the modules. Some of the pins have a some back on them. The negative and positive battery cables were tight and the power steering wire was tight as well. I popped the plugs on the two modules, the smaller of which I believe is the either the TCM or EBCM. All inside appear to be spick and span. I'm going to grease it all here in a bit and give it a shot.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

"Some of the pins have a some back on them" - did you mean BLACK? If so, those pins need to be cleaned.

Those power connections will need to be disconnected to see if there is any corrosion - ensuring they are tight is not enough to rule them out as a problem.

Basically what you are faced with is checking a few things and eliminating the possible causes one at a time. It can be frustrating and time consuming for sure.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
"Some of the pins have a some back on them" - did you mean BLACK? If so, those pins need to be cleaned.

Those power connections will need to be disconnected to see if there is any corrosion - ensuring they are tight is not enough to rule them out as a problem.

Basically what you are faced with is checking a few things and eliminating the possible causes one at a time. It can be frustrating and time consuming for sure.
Yes, black, sorry. I am going to go through and clean the pins on the back of the fuse panel, inspect the blocks more thoroughly, and apply dielectric grease before reassembling the fuse box and reconnecting the ECM and EBCM. Besides that, is there anything I can look for? I don't see any evidence to suggest animals chewing on the wires or chaffing. Donbrew mentioned ground wires previously and I am unsure on how to inspect these. To be honest, electrical work is a new frontier for me.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Ground wires , take apart clean put back together

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/
Old 05-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Technical Moderator

The 2 modules under the Darth Vader hood are the ECM and TCM.
Just check grounds for tightness and corrosion.

Just checking; the ground wire on the battery is disconnected I hope.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The 2 modules under the Darth Vader hood are the ECM and TCM.
Just check grounds for tightness and corrosion.

Just checking; the ground wire on the battery is disconnected I hope.
It was the ECM. Bought a refurbished one through a company called Flash Masters, plugged it in and connected the battery and it turned right over. Still have that CKP sensor relearn but it runs like a top!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Great news! Fixed another one! Enjoy the ride
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Great news! Fixed another one! Enjoy the ride
I'm so relieved. Thanks for all of the advice and assistance. Definitely a great set of guys here who know their stuff.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by WillMarr13
It was the ECM. Bought a refurbished one through a company called Flash Masters, plugged it in and connected the battery and it turned right over. Still have that CKP sensor relearn but it runs like a top!
How did you prove it was the ECM ?

Here's the link to Flash Masters Ebay store :
https://www.ebay.com/str/Flashmaster...at=23432916017
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Post #16, Cat he plugged it in and started it up it now runs fine.

Quick Reply: Help please