Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help...smoking while idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Coolant level? Not asking the temp.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Let us know what they find on the Shifter and Ignition key for your 2011.

I have 2 of the2011 models and had the shifter replaced at approx. 20,000 on the 2LT.

My B to B Warranty runs out next month on the other HHR.

SF
Shifter light module or something like that...$160 to fix so I'm letting them do it because it's costing me $50 for diagnostics today regardless so really it's $110...well worth it because I've fought with that shifter for 3-5 mins on some mornings.

Originally Posted by donbrew
Coolant level? Not asking the temp.
All of that looked fine...I thought the same thing that was the first thing I checked. It's not a white vapor cloud...this cloud lingers after it comes out. They've checked several things of course have found no problems and you know the problem never happens when it's at the dealership. I told her to leave the car idling for 20 mins if they had to and rev the engine a time or two...it would blow smoke. I'm waiting to hear back from them. They were going to check the valves and do a compression check.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Crossing my fingers for you on this one.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
Shifter light module or something like that...$160 to fix so I'm letting them do it because it's costing me $50 for diagnostics today regardless so really it's $110...well worth it because I've fought with that shifter for 3-5 mins on some mornings.

All of that looked fine...I thought the same thing that was the first thing I checked. It's not a white vapor cloud...this cloud lingers after it comes out. They've checked several things of course have found no problems and you know the problem never happens when it's at the dealership. I told her to leave the car idling for 20 mins if they had to and rev the engine a time or two...it would blow smoke. I'm waiting to hear back from them. They were going to check the valves and do a compression check.
Hey chefhhr,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing these issues. I hope all goes well at the dealership. Please keep us updated on the resolution, and please reach out to us if you need us to help with anything else.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Well they had my wagon since 8:30...can't get it to produce any smoke...actually they did get some smoke out the back and said it was due to the kind of exhaust I had (magnaflow) and that they would produce smoke. I was like...what?!!!! I told them I'd pick up the car and take it home and record the smoke on my phone for them to see. Needless to say I'm not a very happy camper...I didn't get an alignment because they said they couldn't do it with my coilovers and I'm out $160 for a part I should have had replaced under warranty since my shifting issue has been happening since the summer off and on.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM

You would think a dealer would have a tailpipe sniffer like the youtube guys seem to all have.

I wonder what coilovers have to do with the toe? That's all they should be able to change, unless you have a camber kit installed.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:17 PM

My coilovers are fully adjustable...I can control damper and camber. It was off...good now!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 PM

You should be able to get it an alignment with coil overs. Time to go to a different repair shop.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
You should be able to get it an alignment with coil overs. Time to go to a different repair shop.
Yup...went across the street and the guys at Kauffman got it done. Bought new tires for my new wheels while I was there...just waiting on the new wheels to arrive.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Wagon is still smoking...you can smell it if the car is idling...I had my boss stand by my car today and he witnessed the smoke. I guess I'll be going by tomorrow morning and have them produce a tech so I can show them the smoke cloud.

Quick Reply: Help...smoking while idling