Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help...smoking while idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Help...smoking while idling

I got my oil changed a few weeks ago...car went in the shop for body repairs the week I got the oil changed so basically I've driven the car a week since the change. Anyways I noticed mid week that when I took off at a light I had a puff of smoke...hard to tell the color but I'm pretty sure it was bluish which I know is oil. It happened again yesterday again today while idling outside the grocery store waiting on my girlfriend. When I rev the motor a pile of smoke comes out that exhaust. My first thought is the valves but I've got 41k miles...that seems to be short lived for valve guides. I've noticed my gas mileage is not as good right now so I'm wondering if it may be something fuel related as it smeels like a fuel oil mixture. Of course I'm out of my bumper to bumper warranty so I'm hoping it'll be something covered under the drivetrain warranty. Any ideas? I'm planning to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Deceased

It may be a blown head gasket or cracked head, has it triggered the CEL yet?

The dealer should do a compression check, examine the plugs for oil fouling, possibly a cylinder leakdown test too depending on what the compression check shows.

When you had to abandon it in the snow storm, did you leave the keys in it? Or did the towtruck operator try to "rock" it free from its position in the ditch?

A stuck fuel injector that's washing the oil off the walls of the affected cylinder is also a possibility, how's the idle quality, does it sound like it's missing?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Idles and runs perfect...not running hot...temps are fine. Nothing comes out the exhaust until it sits idling for a period of time then clears up. When I turn off the car and go back out and crank it up...give it a rev nothing there. These definitely some soot buildup around the back bumper where the exhaust is released. No cels...doesn't sound like its missing at all.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

When it's been smokey have you confirmed that it is indeed oil by the smell of it when it burns and comes out the exhaust?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM

I had mechanic say it smelt rich but he said it also had a smell of oil. The smoke isn't dark so I'm ruling out fuel...and like I said I've got a good bit of buildup around my exhaust.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'd suggest checkin' how the spark plugs read, sure sounds like valve guides to me. Idling produces the greatest amount of vacuum. Which (if guides are worn) will suck down oil..

Leak down test (as earlier suggested) can pin point any issue & where.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Have you used this dealer before for oil changes? I ask because some dealer use bulk oil and some buy the cheapest that can for maxim profit.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Could it be a problem with the pcv?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 AM

It's at the dealership this morning...told them I had the oil changed there a few weeks prior and it sat for a week at the body shop. Who knows...I seem to have really bad car luck lol. I'll keep you guys updated.

They are doing an alignment for me since I installed my coilovers over the weekend. Also they are checking to see why my gear shifter sticks on cold mornings (automatic). She said that there were some recalls coming up in April for the gear shift and the ignition for my year model but they'd go ahead and check today.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by chefhhr
It's at the dealership this morning...told them I had the oil changed there a few weeks prior and it sat for a week at the body shop. Who knows...I seem to have really bad car luck lol. I'll keep you guys updated.

They are doing an alignment for me since I installed my coilovers over the weekend. Also they are checking to see why my gear shifter sticks on cold mornings (automatic). She said that there were some recalls coming up in April for the gear shift and the ignition for my year model but they'd go ahead and check today.
Let us know what they find on the Shifter and Ignition key for your 2011.

I have 2 of the 2011 models and had the shifter replaced at approx. 20,000 on the 2LT.

My B to B Warranty runs out next month on the other HHR.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 03-10-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Help...smoking while idling