Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR still won't start even after replacing starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM
Administrator

While you have the starter out, check the oil pressure switch for oil leaking .
Old 03-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Will do! Thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM

If they "tested" the starter in the car while running. Don't go back to that store. They are clueless.

They do have the capability to bench test a starter, but it has to be removed to do so.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
While you have the starter out, check the oil pressure switch for oil leaking .
For sure!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Old 03-14-2019, 07:19 AM

HHR still won't start even after replacing starter

So I replaced my starter last night and the damn car still won't start. It acts like it wants to, but now.. it won't. It started off as a scratchy like noise on the delay start?? You can hear the solenoid kicking but the car itself just won't even crank. Bad fuel filter maybe? I absolutely need this car running again. I am officially at loss and rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a mechanic. 2006 Chevy HHR LT
201k miles. It acts as if the battery is dead but the battery life is in good health. Has anyone had similar issues if not the same? I'm at total loss right now as of what to do. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated! I doubt it's the ignition switch. But I'm open to suggestions.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 AM

The fuel filter has no effect on the starter turning over.

Turn it to start and measure the voltage at the starter itself to make sure there is voltage (at the correct level- should be at least 10.5V).

Is this a remanufactured starter? I have had reman starters bad out of the box before.

Does the new starter act exactly like the old starter did just before you replaced it?

Steve
Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
The fuel filter has no effect on the starter turning over.

Turn it to start and measure the voltage at the starter itself to make sure there is voltage (at the correct level- should be at least 10.5V).

Is this a remanufactured starter? I have had reman starters bad out of the box before.

Does the new starter act exactly like the old starter did just before you replaced it?

Steve
No, you can hear like a repeating talking noise and it won't even crank. Before it made a slight grinding like noise.. kinda like when you get bad signal on a radio the scratchy noise.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Won't start and won't crank are to different things.
When you turn the key to crank does the engine spin over ?
If it does, that to me means the engine won't start and run.
Define: "you can hear like a repeating talking noise"
Never heard that description of a starting problem before.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dyleazy,1203
So I replaced my starter last night and the damn car still won't start. It acts like it wants to, but now.. it won't. It started off as a scratchy like noise on the delay start?? You can hear the solenoid kicking but the car itself just won't even crank. Bad fuel filter maybe? I absolutely need this car running again. I am officially at loss and rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a mechanic. 2006 Chevy HHR LT
201k miles. It acts as if the battery is dead but the battery life is in good health. Has anyone had similar issues if not the same? I'm at total loss right now as of what to do. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated! I doubt it's the ignition switch. But I'm open to suggestions.
Originally Posted by Dyleazy,1203
No, you can hear like a repeating talking noise and it won't even crank. Before it made a slight grinding like noise.. kinda like when you get bad signal on a radio the scratchy noise.
You are unique in the way you describe things. But unfortunately that makes it difficult to know what your talking about.

Want's to start? Does the starter engage and turn the motor over? If yes, normal fast sound, or slow (battery). Now if the starter is engaging the motor normally, but it's not firing up. That could be a fuel or a spark issue. The HHR does not have an inline fuel filter.

If the starter is not engaging the flywheel. Check starter connections. Bench test starter and load test battery. Bad starter can kill a battery.

Quick Reply: HHR still won't start even after replacing starter