Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Third Brake Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:59 PM

HHR Third Brake Light Problems

I have checked every inch of this HHR SS 2009 i cannot find anywhere a Fuse or Relay labeled CHSM or third brake light or High
Mounted Light, nothing. Only Brake and that fuse is good. This is nuts. No light blue wire at the brake pedal either. What is the name of the fuse ? anybody ? before i loose it LOL. I know it is a fuse because i shorted it connecting an accessory. Maybe this is a body off job ! im almost to that point
Old 03-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by drspock
I have checked every inch of this HHR SS 2009 i cannot find anywhere a Fuse or Relay labeled CHSM or third brake light or High
Mounted Light, nothing. Only Brake and that fuse is good. This is nuts. No light blue wire at the brake pedal either. What is the name of the fuse ? anybody ? before i loose it LOL. I know it is a fuse because i shorted it connecting an accessory. Maybe this is a body off job ! im almost to that point
What are you trying to do?

Calm down and try a description of your problem from the start, preferably in your own (single) thread. We cannot read minds.

Last edited by donbrew; 03-01-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:47 PM

The stop light fuse is in the fuse box inside and the relay is under the hood.

If you have a panel it has an a small relay box next to the big one for the 3rd brake light and the door poppers

The best way to check fuses is with a test light and when I check them I check them all.

Using the test light you should see power on both sides of hhr fuse when it is power up. If you find one that only lights on one side it's blown.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Deceased

X2 on the test light, and a calmer description of the problem please.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM

I moved this to its own thread. It will get more views this way.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
I moved this to its own thread. It will get more views this way.
That's why my computer went crazy, I was trying at the same time.

Lt blue does not go to the brake pedal position sensor. It goes to the ECM as "stop lamp supply volt" and then on to the Center Mounted High Stop Light from the relay.

Do you have the schematics already? Maybe you are looking at the wrong one. There is one for the Cruise Control system and one for the Exterior Lighting, they overlap in a way.

There is a location diagram on the underside of the fuse box cover.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:58 PM

What is the Fuse labeled ? i see noting in either fuse box that says anything to do with Third brake light etc. My problem is a simple one, i usually fix this type of problem fast. i am sure it is a fuse. I lost power to the Third Brake light after i accidentally shorted it installing a License Frame with a built in Brake light. The Left and Right Brake lights work fine only the Third Break light is dead no power to the fixture, and yes the key on
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 AM

It should be fuse #9 labeled stop lamp in your Manual. I believe the brake light left and right are powered by a different power feed. GM like to use two different power feeds because they use the 3rd brake light circuit as an input to the ECM. For example speed control
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by donbrew
That's why my computer went crazy, I was trying at the same time.
Sorry, my fault. I moved it at 11:53pm, Lucky moved it at 11:56pm, and then you had the same idea. Great minds think alike, but when they do, our server in Los Angeles goes into "stupid mode".
Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 AM

Cannot find schematics anywhere, even AllData has no listing for HHR. Brake Fuse is Good and Brake lights work as well as everything else just no third brake light

Quick Reply: HHR Third Brake Light Problems