Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How To Re-Program Old Car Key/2006 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM

How To Re-Program Old Car Key/2006 HHR

Hi Everyone,
Hoping someone can help us! My husband lost the original *working* key and key fob somehow at his job, for our 2006 HHR, and though we do still have an extra set, we haven't used it in years and have some reason to believe it might be defective or screwed up, ugh.
We have tried doing the "re-learning" process of putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the On position (not actually turning on) and waiting 10 minutes, then wait 5 seconds and do that entire process 2 more times... Which, unfortunately the very first time we tried, my husband hadn't been told not to have any accessories on ie., The car radio and lights, which he did.. sigh.... Oddly enough, at that first try it did start up, but would shut right back off after about 6-7 seconds.
We have since had our car towed to our house and tried the re-learning process all over to no avail.
Today we tried it and now the clock is completely wrong (WAY OFF) so we don't know if this might mean we have totally screwed it up!
Thanks so much for any help!! It's a 2006 HHR LS if that helps!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 PM
Technical Moderator

What reason to believe the old not used in a long time key got broken?

Have you had the ignition recall done, if not get it done you will get 2 new matched keys.

Is car battery good? The reason to have accessories off is so the battery does not die midstream.

A GM dealership or a good locksmith can use their computer to match a new key.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What reason to believe the old not used in a long time key got broken?

Have you had the ignition recall done, if not get it done you will get 2 new matched keys.

Is car battery good? The reason to have accessories off is so the battery does not die midstream.

A GM dealership or a good locksmith can use their computer to match a new key.
Hi, yes I'm almost 100% certain we had that ignition recall done... But the dealership did NOT give us 2 new matched keys, so that's very interesting! We will definitely check on this as now I'm concerned and curious about no new keys .. this was quite awhile ago but not immediately after receiving the notice. Not sure about the car battery ugh, but of course no way to test it since we aren't able to start it up. Do you know if how the clock is totally wrong indicates anything?
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Technical Moderator

The entire reason for one part of the recall was 2 new keys with a round keyring hole. So, if yours have an oblong hole no you didn't.

You can test the battery with out starting the car. Sounds dead to me, especially if it is the original (12 years old now).

Does your key have a + in a circle stamped on it?

The keys don't just stop working, age has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

If you had the ignition recall done, you should have been given 2 keys with the smaller key ring hole like Donbrew mentioned. (picture below)

There was a prior recall to the ignition one. It was to replace just the key cylinder: no new keys were included.
Maybe you only had the prior work done and didn't receive new keys.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
If you had the ignition recall done, you should have been given 2 keys with the smaller key ring hole like Donbrew mentioned. (picture below)

There was a prior recall to the ignition one. It was to replace just the key cylinder: no new keys were included.
Maybe you only had the prior work done and didn't receive new keys.

That would be good since some stealerships tend to really gouge you on little things like that.

(On a related note: George, you don't have one of those fob programmers, do you?)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
That would be good since some stealerships tend to really gouge you on little things like that.

(On a related note: George, you don't have one of those fob programmers, do you?)
Sorry. No fob programmer.
BUT. I do have a new, in box, TPMS reset tool that you might want. Company sent me an extra when the 1st one was temporarily lost in shipping.
I'll give it to you free if you want to meet up somewhere.
Send me a PM if you're interested.