Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Howling/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sammyrye
Anything new on this? My 2008 just started a similar noise - more from the front passenger side. I thought the tires may be wearing, but in checking the tread depth, I'm a long way from changing the tires. When accelerating, it sounds like I've got mudders on the front! Thanks!

Rich
Mine turned out to be front wheel bearing at 130K. That was my 1st bad one, but I know another guy that had all 4of his done by 100 K. Make sure you check those CV axles too! Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by sammyrye
Anything new on this? My 2008 just started a similar noise - more from the front passenger side. I thought the tires may be wearing, but in checking the tread depth, I'm a long way from changing the tires. When accelerating, it sounds like I've got mudders on the front! Thanks!

Rich
It's the tires making the noise. I replaced the struts and the left lower control arm. The wear on those items caused the tires to wear in such a way that they are now very noisy. When the windows are open and I'm driving a slow speeds the tires are very clearly making the noise. My tires are less than two years old and I'm just going to live with it. No more Kelly tires.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM

my 2007 started making a noise like the one described, I too tried to isolate it left or right, with car on jack stands and in gear and also when driving the noise does not start util about 25 mph or higher and it gets louder the faster you go, and it's not engine speed dependent but wheel speed. the hubs seem ok, the tires have normal wear, the brakes are fairly new. with the hood open the noise almost seems to be coming from the center behind the engine. is there an intermediate shaft that comes out of the trans to drive the right side axle? or some kind of bearing in that area that could be going bad?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by FlaHHROwner
my 2007 started making a noise like the one described, I too tried to isolate it left or right, with car on jack stands and in gear and also when driving the noise does not start util about 25 mph or higher and it gets louder the faster you go, and it's not engine speed dependent but wheel speed. the hubs seem ok, the tires have normal wear, the brakes are fairly new. with the hood open the noise almost seems to be coming from the center behind the engine. is there an intermediate shaft that comes out of the trans to drive the right side axle? or some kind of bearing in that area that could be going bad?
I can understand how frustrating it can be to be in the situation that you are in and trying to figure things out on your own. If you do not get the assistance you need via the members please, feel free to contact the Chevrolet dealership's service department you trust for further assistance. They should be able to help you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM

Low speed grind and howl and steering wheel rattle

2006 hhr lt 97k

Hello HHR owners/enthusiasts
My hhr has a grinding and howl noise from the right side at low speeds about 20mph. it goes away at speeds above 40 but when in stop/go traffic its really bad. checked breaks-good, rotors-good, cv axle-no play, good,hub bearing -no movement and turns smoothly.

Also any one know what may cause small rattle in the steering column when breaking hard or going over large bumps
Old 02-25-2013, 02:37 PM

I know what it is, but lack the correct terminology to explain it.
I was getting the same noise, I just jacked up the car and grabbed ahold of the axle shafts and wiggled them. They were solid down by the strut and the outboard CV joint, but where the shafts went into the transaxle, they were loose and sloppy as hell. That is definitely the problem. I would say the bearings that support the shaft coming out of the transaxle are shot. I think the CV's are fine.... I could detect no slop. What is the correct term for this bearing and shaft? I need to know what I am talking about when I try to get a price to fix this mess.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Unhappy 2008 HHRLT Howling noise

My howling noise in my 2008 was diagnosed as a bad differential after I have both the hub assy's replaced and there are no parts available--So GM customer service gave my dealership a new transmission to fix the problem. It took a month to get everything back togeather and when I drove the car home the noise was still there!! Now they are saying tire noise but I've already had it jacked up and the howl is still there--taking it back to them on Wed 24 July. This is starting to be a pain!!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM

With the wheels hanging free there will be a noise from the CVs, they are not designed to operate at such a large angle for long.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Me, too!

I have the same problem with my front end making a grinding noise. The noise is more noticeable from the drivers seat than the passengers and gets MUCH worse when curving or turning to the right.
I too thought it sounded like a tire rubbing on something but it's not. If anyone has figured out exactly what that noise is I would sure appreciate knowing so that when I take mine in I can at least make some sounds like I know something
Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by saavery
I have the same problem with my front end making a grinding noise. The noise is more noticeable from the drivers seat than the passengers and gets MUCH worse when curving or turning to the right.
I too thought it sounded like a tire rubbing on something but it's not. If anyone has figured out exactly what that noise is I would sure appreciate knowing so that when I take mine in I can at least make some sounds like I know something
Hey Saavery,

If you would like any assistance with this concern, and bringing your vehicle into the dealership, please let me know in a PM. I would be happy to do the best that I can to seek a resolution for your mysterious noise.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Howling/grinding noise