Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Howling/grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by saavery
I have the same problem with my front end making a grinding noise. The noise is more noticeable from the drivers seat than the passengers and gets MUCH worse when curving or turning to the right.
I too thought it sounded like a tire rubbing on something but it's not. If anyone has figured out exactly what that noise is I would sure appreciate knowing so that when I take mine in I can at least make some sounds like I know something
Welcome to the site.

Yes, many people have found what the problem is. The search tool will return an abundance of threads related.

Usually it is a hub/bearing, sometimes it is the flex joint on the exhaust. Try some of those search terms.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by saavery
I have the same problem with my front end making a grinding noise. The noise is more noticeable from the drivers seat than the passengers and gets MUCH worse when curving or turning to the right.
I too thought it sounded like a tire rubbing on something but it's not. If anyone has figured out exactly what that noise is I would sure appreciate knowing so that when I take mine in I can at least make some sounds like I know something
You don't mention how many miles on the car - but like Donbrew mentions, I'd suspect the drivers side front hub (basically the wheel bearings built into the one-piece hub). Especially suspect if you have over 50,000 miles or more, and from the description of being worse on right turns which puts more load on the drivers side, and it's hub.

If it's "grinding" - it needs to be attended to quick - that can be a dangerous problem if neglected. Let us know the progress if you can.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by FlaHHROwner
my 2007 started making a noise like the one described, I too tried to isolate it left or right, with car on jack stands and in gear and also when driving the noise does not start util about 25 mph or higher and it gets louder the faster you go, and it's not engine speed dependent but wheel speed. the hubs seem ok, the tires have normal wear, the brakes are fairly new. with the hood open the noise almost seems to be coming from the center behind the engine. is there an intermediate shaft that comes out of the trans to drive the right side axle? or some kind of bearing in that area that could be going bad?
sounds exactly like what my 08 is doing. Been nonstop repairs on front end. Sound is getting worse something's metal on metal I need freaking help diagnosing this I never use the form before so I don't even know if this is going to post
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wade Hendrickson
sounds exactly like what my 08 is doing. Been nonstop repairs on front end. Sound is getting worse something's metal on metal I need freaking help diagnosing this I never use the form before so I don't even know if this is going to post

Best thing to do is start a new thread and describe what is going on in your case.

For one thing FlatHHROwner seems to have been driving his car while having his head in the engine compartment. But he was describing a cracked flex pipe, nothing to do with suspension.

So, I seriously doubt your case is exactly the same!