Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Humming noise when I reach 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:56 PM

Humming noise when I reach 40 mph

A couple of weeks ago I hit a pothole and damaged one of my custom rims. I rode on a spare for a few days because time and money (lack of both) wouldn't allow me to get a new rim. While I was driving with the spare on, I notice a humming noise when I would get up to about 40 mph. I thought it was just the tread on the spare making the noise. I bought new rims and tires and I still hear the noise. I checked the bearings by jacking up the car and trying to shake the wheel back and forth. They have no give in them. My father in law seems to think it is a small exhaust leak, but it only does it when the car is moving. If I'm in park and rev up the engine, I don't hear it. To me, it kind of sounds like a transmission that's not shifting, but it shifts smoothly and normally. There's also a small vibration I can feel on the steering wheel and pretty much anywhere in the car when it's doing it. Can I get some ideas what other people think it could be? Thanks.

One other thing. You can hear the noise much louder with the windows up. With the windows down, it's not nearly as loud.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by colzdad
A couple of weeks ago I hit a pothole and damaged one of my custom rims. I rode on a spare for a few days because time and money (lack of both) wouldn't allow me to get a new rim. While I was driving with the spare on, I notice a humming noise when I would get up to about 40 mph. I thought it was just the tread on the spare making the noise. I bought new rims and tires and I still hear the noise. I checked the bearings by jacking up the car and trying to shake the wheel back and forth. They have no give in them. My father in law seems to think it is a small exhaust leak, but it only does it when the car is moving. If I'm in park and rev up the engine, I don't hear it. To me, it kind of sounds like a transmission that's not shifting, but it shifts smoothly and normally. There's also a small vibration I can feel on the steering wheel and pretty much anywhere in the car when it's doing it. Can I get some ideas what other people think it could be? Thanks.

One other thing. You can hear the noise much louder with the windows up. With the windows down, it's not nearly as loud.
Hey colzdad,

I know you're reaching out to the incredible community here, but if you'd like to have this noise addressed by your local Chevrolet dealership, I'd be happy to share your concerns and have them reach out to you to set up an appointment. Please PM us with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and preferred Chevrolet dealership and I'll get that ball rolling for you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Geoff G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Maybe a video of this noise from inside the car , maybe we can recognize the sounds
Old 05-11-2015, 04:12 PM

could it be the gears in the front wheel drive. I remember in my Silverado hearing a noise like that and it ended up being my rear end.
Good luck
Tim
Old 05-11-2015, 05:19 PM

CV or hub. Depends on how hard the curb hit was.

But that is one of the many descriptions of a cracked flex pipe.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:24 PM

I know its a different car but I hit a curb in my 01 Monte Carlo and damaged the rim. Had the car realigned and thought all was good. Except I had a noise at speed much like you are describing. Had to replace my hub assembly because I flat spotted the bearings. Replaced it and all was good.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will try to post a video with the noise later.