Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I NEED HELP......3 times in service.....clunk knocking noise front drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:32 PM

I NEED HELP......3 times in service.....clunk knocking noise front drivers side

I NEED HELP......3 times in service.....clunk knocking clicking noise front drivers side

I was first told that someone had switched by wheels. The service rep said that I had someones uplander wheel and they had my HHr wheel. Well I had the only 2 places that has ever touched my car pull all their records from every time we were in there and of course no uplander or similar vehicle was even there at the same time as mine.

Went back to chevy and confronted the manager in service dept. Was now told that the hubcap was the problem and of course when you look at the inside of the cover it was chipped and showing that it was a problem. They replaced it.

Now the noise has come back and when I brought it in I test drove it with the service guy. He put padding on the inside of the hubcap..noise still there. So he opened a ticket and is researching what the problem may be.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone had the problem and now what it may be?

Tina
citigirl79@yahoo.com
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 121
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! I don't have a clue but maybe someone else here will.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Founding Member

CitiGirl79!
You have come to the right place to find info about your HHR. The troops will chime in here soon about your question(s).
I don't recall a problem such as your experiencing. If anyone here has, they'll speak up!
I hope you can get this resolved with your dealer.

In the meantime, cruise around the site!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Try these 2 threads:

Front Lower Control Arm
and Rattling Noise
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM

Welcome to the Club and try to Enjoy the Ride.
Welcome from another FL HHR owner from Tampa, FL.
Sorry as Hills said look at those threads.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM

CitiGirl, if you are refering to a clunk type sound when you are turning the wheel or going over small bumps it could be the intermediate steering shaft. There is a TSB on that and you can search here for it. I had that problem and the dealer followed the TSB and that fixed it. It would happen most of the time when starting out and turning but did notice it at other times also. Hope this is of some help..

Julian Wolfe
Old 05-14-2007, 10:26 PM

Hello, new member here. But I do believe I have lived through the problem you described. The first time I took it on for clunking on the drivers side when going over certain bumps, they turned the rotors. I picked up the car, drove it 5 minutes and took it right back. Because it was still making an intermittant clunking noise which was more pronounced when going over a bumpy off-ramp, downhill, or anywhere requiring the combination of breaks and a bumpy surface. They kept the car for 3 days and in the end replaced the steering column... Ever since then, noise, clunks... all gone. Driving like new. I am concerned though, car has 22k and I have replaced the driver side visor because it wouldnt stay up, and now the steering column. I wanted a car to keep for many years to come and can't help but wonder how things will be when the warranty runs out. Yet I love the look, style, functionality, gas mileage and versatility of this vehicle. Time will tell.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Missy
I am concerned though, car has 22k and I have replaced the driver side visor because it wouldnt stay up,

Mine had the same problem after having the sunroof track replaced. Turned out that the tech who reinstalled the sunvisors didn't get the orientation correct when putting the driver's side visor back on.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 PM

I have a 2006 HHR that had this clunking. It was a bulletin on the car. It needed a whole new steering column. Since they've replaced it, problem solved. I have had other bulletin issues as well but this one was solved by having that done. TELL THEM TO LOOK at the bulletins for the car. Good luck