Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition Key Stuck, Engine Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 PM

The cylinder issue happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was on the way home from work (early) and at home the key wouldn't turn off. I backed out of the garage, and went straight to the dealer. In 45 minutes I left with the car fixed by installation of a new lock cylinder. I was home about the time I would have been had I left work at my normal time. So it just worked out for me. My car is an SS auto, for those keeping an eye on these things and trying to figure out if there's a pattern. BTW, kudos to Len Lyall Chevy in Aurora, CO.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:59 PM

I just got home from a local auction with this problem. When I got to the auction and went to shut the car off, nothing. The key wouldn't budge. I had to put my foot on the brake and let out the clutch to kill the car. Now that I'm home, I have my wife's car parked on my bumper so that Mr. Hyde will hopefully be there in the morning to take to the dealer.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Just had the problem happen to me, car turned off but stuck in aux, $250 later and a new lock cyliner assy all is ok, but it sounds like they have a problem. I hope the new assy resolves the issue. I hope that when they have a problem and it is, that they resolve and do a proper fix.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Happened again on Sunday, engine turns off but wont go past aux, this time I knew what to do, reach up under ignition, push button and you can turn the key to off and pull out the key. It goes back in tommorrow and hope they fix it right. But at least I know how to get the key out now. All because of this website. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM

@TORRED1, I hope that everything is going smoothly with the dealership today. Please, let me know how it goes.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Yes took it in and they appear to have resolved the issue, They replaced the shifter, said it was shorted and was causing the problem. Since they charged for the ignition they comped the shifter, no charge. Have not driven it a lot since then, but the issue appears resolved.
Michelle, thank you for your concern, what is your relationship with GM, are you a dealer Customer Service Rep or are you at a corporate level. I am guessing corporate. Thank you for being out there.
Peter
Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM

key stuck in on position

The key came out of the ignition, but the car was still running. The key would not turn off the car and it was stuck in the on possition. How hard is this to fix and it is possible without taking to the dealer. I have a 2009 hhr
Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Deceased

Its a bugger to fix if you don't have the requisite tools, so most people take it straight to the dealer, expect to pay $250+ when everything is said and done unless you're still under warranty.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Welcome to the forum, shoupie35.

Galion? We do seem to have a few HHRs don't we.....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Okay my key is stuck............

Well, I guess I am off to the shop in the morning. My car will not shut off and I cannot remove the key. Hubby disconnected the battery. That's the only thing we could think of to do. Weird or what? Mine appears to be the ignition lock cylinder as using that button under the ignition for low battery removal does not work. The key is just plain stuck. and the car is running. So hubby disconnected battery again. I will call the dealer in the morning. Hopefully he can get me in and back to "not running" soon.

Last edited by Joycewe; 11-01-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Want to add more.

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Stuck, Engine Running